Second opinion: Engine Died followed by no start

PatriotHauling

Reaction score
The other day my engine died out of the blue. Power still on, but RPMs at 0. I was able to pull out of traffic into a turn lane.

Threw it into neutral and tried again. Cranked and cranked and cranked no problem but no ignition. No smoke out the tail pipe. Quick CPS change and.... Nope. No start. Good fuel pressure (no gauge, just checked flow from the drain valve). WTS light was on when appropriate.

Eventually it started for about one revolution then died. A little while later it fired up and died after about 4 seconds. Then again it fired up and got me about 250 yards down the road before dying again, but this time fired right back up when I put it in neutral and cranked it (while doing about 30mph :joy:) got another 400 yards and died again. A few tries and it fired up and finally got to my work. Parked it and went to work.

Came back, no start. Fiddled after much reading online and checked IPR and ICP sensors. Both connectors in tact, the IPR had a small amount of oil in the connector. Tried reinserting the IPR connector but the gasket was in the way. Removed the gasket and re-installed the connector and have had no stalls in the last 250 miles or so, but did have one miss earlier today.

My money is on IPR? Thoughts? New IPR or can it be fixed? :shrug:

PatriotHauling

Reaction score
A5B77035-E97D-4F43-B2F1-21C15D40B9EB-13618-00000A95C54CF2BB.jpg

After letting it sit it started up again. I did tighten the IPR nut as a precaution but it was snug when I found it. The ICP connector does have oil on it.
Truck runs but is audibly different in my 80e tune but stock sounds okay.

Pulled two codes P1280 and P1690.

Any help is appreciated.

lincolnlocker

Reaction score
oil in icp usually means it bad... if it is running while at idle unplug the icp and see if the motor changes if it doesnt, it means that its already running in default mode and needs changed...

live life full throttle

PatriotHauling

Reaction score
The 1280 code was a false alarm. I had left the ICP unplugged from trying that very thing. It did indeed run with it unplugged.

Could this be caused by bad batteries? Headlights have been dim so I checked voltage and its at 10.3 key on engine off.

lincolnlocker

Reaction score
didnt you say there was oil in the icp sensor? how long after the truck is shut off did you check voltage?

live life full throttle

lincolnlocker

Reaction score
it should stay above 11 i think. whats the voltage while running? while its running and the icp sensor is plugged in, unplug it and see if the motor changes... it will run without it plugged in... just want to know if the motor changes tune while its idling when u unplug it.

live life full throttle

Arisley

Reaction score
The 1280 code was a false alarm. I had left the ICP unplugged from trying that very thing. It did indeed run with it unplugged.

Could this be caused by bad batteries? Headlights have been dim so I checked voltage and its at 10.3 key on engine off.

Bad batts or alternator can do some weird things. I had a weak alternator, truck would run fine until I turned the headlight on, then it would start missing, lug down and finally die. Turn headlights off and it would clear up and run fine.

MossBack

Reaction score
Bad batts or alternator can do some weird things. I had a weak alternator, truck would run fine until I turned the headlight on, then it would start missing, lug down and finally die. Turn headlights off and it would clear up and run fine.

I second this ! I have been fighting a wild hair in my truck. Replaced alt with FoMoCo then more driving problems replaced tq and vb. then while driving to work lost it all and the reman alt died. Had a bad cell in 1 batt upgraded to agm for 1/2 price and truck has never ran better.

lincolnlocker

Reaction score

whs^^^ mine did the same thing.

live life full throttle

PatriotHauling

Reaction score
Got some testing done today. Nothing conclusive (to my eyes). Got hooked up to the AE.

Got some data logged, I've got a graph and a CSV file for the smarter ones out there.

Key points: The truck has been good all day today and most of yesterday (died once early in the day then drove 200 miles no problem.)

ICP was 450-800 during start up then normalized to about 400psi. I was able to get the ICP to 500 by going into my 80e tune. For reference, the data logging is done in stock tune. ICP % was between 10 and 12 at idle, is this IPR duty cycle?

Voltage has been good today, AE logged 14.1V all day long, but the dash read out was more like 13.5-14.1. 12.xv when off then up to 13.5v when driving about. Alternator replacement is on my list. I also want to check the water in my batteries. I had them both load tested, one read "Marginal" then retested to "Good" the other tested at "Good."

So I dont know how to interpret this data, nothing stood out to me. Note some 0s on the ICP voltage. I dont remember if this was when I unplugged the sensor or not. When I did, ICP defaulted to 724 PSI. I did a few data logs and dont remember if I unplugged ICP on this log. To be noted, idle did change when ICP was unplugged.

Buzz test passed with flying colors.

CSV File ---> http://bit.ly/TAI3UL

Also got a hydrometer and tested the batteries, just for curiosity sake.

Battery 1:
4 good cells
1 intermediate cell
1 bad cell

Battery 2:
5 bad cells
1 intermediate cell

All had clear water, but the water level seemed low, like barely enough to fill the hydrometer.

Attachments

• AE Chart.jpg
    AE Chart.jpg
    13.8 KB · Views: 47

Latest posts

Members online