self steering 7.3

eng53ine

Reaction score
I have a problem that has developed and is getting worse. When driving the truck, it would pull to the right but would stop when tapping the brakes. I replaced the passenger brake line and caliper, front and rear. This fixed the problem until I put in in 4x4. The steering felt like it was still in 4x4 after unlocking hubs until i smacked the hubs with a dead blow. No more problems until recently when it started pulling again to the right. I messed with the hubs and helped but not a complete fix. This past weekend I washed the motor off and now it pulls in both directions. Checked the power steering fluid - full and appears to be brown, not red, and smells burnt and looks to be aftermarket unit. When I say it pulls, it's not constant. It's at random and feels like someone is jerking the wheel. Counter steer feels about the same as running on to a very soft shoulder in whatever direction it is pulling.

eng53ine

Reaction score
Lied fluid isn't brown to the touch but isn't very red either. Could the steering box cause this?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Arisley

Reaction score
Do the brakes feel weird?

I would start with a fluid flush and change.

I would damn sure change the hubs.

I would change the other brake lines. Crawl under the truck and inspect the hard brake lines, especially the rear ones.

The big thing to remember is your truck is a machine. It is a bunch of simple machines combined together to make one big machine. There is only six simple machines, every thing is made up of a combination of those. Plus electronics to control them.

eng53ine

Reaction score
I have a set of hubs I'm going to put on it I had to swap the stock ones back on after my mile markers blew apart.
On the brakes could the portioning valve be messing up? The wheels feel warm to the touch, but all feel the same never smell hot as if they're dragging.
Just drove it home around a 20 min. Drive, no jerking or pulling. Only thing it did this time when I turned onto our road it felt like it slid, as if I hit a slick spot.

eng53ine

Reaction score
The pedal does feel softer than it did as well, don't know why I keep forgetting that.

2015sixohno

Reaction score
Check the front universal wheel joints. One of them being tight will cause those issues.

eng53ine

Reaction score
Ok to bring this back up, put new warn premium hubs on and the issues cleared up. Steering still feels real loose so I got a gearbox to go on it. Coming home from work today it started making a noise, pulled the hubs off and found this.

698cb1e6f7997100f2ab369112355194.jpg

Going to check the axle joints again, any other ideas of what would cause the hubs to blow apart? Only engaged once to ensure they worked properly.

eng53ine

Reaction score
Yeah bearing sounds shot and the joint that was fine when I started this thread is looking like the culprit

Latest posts

Members online