Several tricky questions...

7.3psd97444

Reaction score
Ive got a few questions for you 7.3 electrical gurus.
Im trying to figure out all the ranges for these sensors.

What the range for the ECT?

What is the range for the EOT?

What is the range for the IAT?

What is the range for the APP?

What is the range for the ICP in PSI?

And lastly what is the range for the MAP at idle?

Hopefully someone knows this and/or has a listing somewhere of these sensor ranges. MUCH appreciated.

Jordan

7.3psd97444

Reaction score
What values are you wanting them in? Ex. ECT in voltage or degrees of temperature C or F?
both in *F.
One way to answer all of this is almost all the sensors in our engine are .5-5v range. So if you have the two readings and their given volt you can figure the full range. If you have AE you can pull the voltage with the readings and figure it out.

Here this may help ya

http://www.thedieselstop.com/contents/getitems.php3?7.3L DIT Power Stroke - Part 2

Thanks.

TARM

Reaction score
For questions on your cummins you really need to go to a specific cummins or dodge forums. You are going to get much more experienced people on there with this engine. Its not a dig its that is there forums specific focus so it stands to reason.

Here is a good thread on doing electric fans with a cummins http://www.cumminsforum.com/forum/94-98-powertrain/353172-electric-fans.html

If this was a 7.3 power stroke I can tell you that to date there is no electric fans that work when its used hard and they are always running. Bigger engine and different layout.

7.3psd97444

Reaction score
For questions on your cummins you really need to go to a specific cummins or dodge forums. You are going to get much more experienced people on there with this engine. Its not a dig its that is there forums specific focus so it stands to reason.

Here is a good thread on doing electric fans with a cummins http://www.cumminsforum.com/forum/94-98-powertrain/353172-electric-fans.html

If this was a 7.3 power stroke I can tell you that to date there is no electric fans that work when its used hard and they are always running. Bigger engine and different layout.

I have a feeling this wasnt sapposed to be posted in this thread....

TARM

Reaction score
Ha thats what I get for having too many window open. No wonder I couldn't figure out where that post when over on pirate4x4

Had a guy over there saying electric fans worked great on a 7.3 without the mech fan and that he even was towing a back hoe and only then did it have to come on for a short period. Certinaly not the experience I have seen. But that was about a guy adding fans to a fummins swap.

Yeh a mod can delete it if I can not.

8inchstroker

Reaction score
Ha thats what I get for having too many window open. No wonder I couldn't figure out where that post when over on pirate4x4

Had a guy over there saying electric fans worked great on a 7.3 without the mech fan and that he even was towing a back hoe and only then did it have to come on for a short period. Certinaly not the experience I have seen. But that was about a guy adding fans to a fummins swap.

DRINK SOME MORE LOL JP

drunk fingered from DROIDX

7.3psd97444

Reaction score

ah its no big deal One wrong post wont bother me. lol

golfer

Reaction score
MAP should be zero (psi) at idle.

ECT isn't monitored by the PCM (so any data on a scanner is invalid for that sensor)...that sensor goes to the gauge cluster only.

7.3psd97444

Reaction score

ECT isn't monitored by the PCM (so any data on a scanner is invalid for that sensor)...that sensor goes to the gauge cluster only.

Wouldnt MAP actually show up as about 14 psi?

And your right about the ECT, its only for the gauge. Thanks!

TARM

Reaction score

I am sure a number of people running AE or another scanner were a bit freaked out when they choose to check ECT and got something like 300+F

2000wa250

Reaction score

ECT only is inaccurate on automatic models....on a manual truck it is a working sensor. This is according to a few on here, a pin out diagram as well as clay at Riffraff diesel. However in my experience it does not register well until the engine is within operating temps.

As for the map sensor....it should read around 14.9 psi.

Not trying to hijack but has anyone experienced any issues with map sensors failing? I haven't read anything on the forums (that I can remember) about them failing. I could see there being a potential vacuum on the sensor, but not much, simply because at idle there should be no boost but air running past the hose could possibly create a bit of a vacuum.

Sent from my DROID BIONIC using Tapatalk 2

TARM

Reaction score
ECT only is inaccurate on automatic models....on a manual truck it is a working sensor. This is according to a few on here, a pin out diagram as well as clay at Riffraff diesel. However in my experience it does not register well until the engine is within operating temps.

As for the map sensor....it should read around 14.9 psi.

Not trying to hijack but has anyone experienced any issues with map sensors failing? I haven't read anything on the forums (that I can remember) about them failing. I could see there being a potential vacuum on the sensor, but not much, simply because at idle there should be no boost but air running past the hose could possibly create a bit of a vacuum.

Sent from my DROID BIONIC using Tapatalk 2

Did not know that. Thanks for posting it.

7.3psd97444

Reaction score
Had a AE on ine today. I have a manual. ECT showed a little over 300* at operating temp. Oil was 162*.

TARM

Reaction score
That is exactly what my Auto have at very close to the same EOT. I guess it maybe on certain model years then. As I highly doubt without a stuck closed t-stat you were anywhere near 300. LOL

7.3psd97444

Reaction score
That is exactly what my Auto have at very close to the same EOT. I guess it maybe on certain model years then. As I highly doubt without a stuck closed t-stat you were anywhere near 300. LOL

haha hell know def not. LOL

Latest posts

Members online