Should I make the switch?

leeparnell89

Reaction score
Long time lurker here, first time posting.

A little back story. I've owned nothing but cummins diesel pickups. I drove a 2011ish powerstroke as a company truck for several months and loved it. It was like heaven compared to my 07 3rd gen. Early 2020 I was weighing a new F350 and a cummins 3500 pretty heavily but ultimately the cummins won due to price and ease of trade at my current dealer among other things. I've now owned a new 2020 and two new ordered 2022's and have had nothing but problems with both from day one. My current dodge dealership has also been sold and due to their business model, will no longer have my business. The ford house one town over is one of the best around and is also leading this consideration.

All of this to say, I'm fed up and considering making the jump. I like what I'm hearing about the 10 speeds, but understand the caveats. I don't put many highway miles on one, mainly 60-65mph on blacktop and some dirt roads. Tow pretty heavy and pretty frequently. Mild driving habits but some putting around the ranch, no idling. The main highway miles will be towing campers and vehicles to and from the deer lease.

The thing I'm having trouble with is HOLY SHIT they're expensive. I paid $59k for a fully loaded tradesman DRW and $64k for a fully loaded lone star mega cab 2500, got about $5k off of MSRP each. The Ford pricing makes my stomach hurt. I've only done some internet searching so I don't know if that's what dealers are expecting or if that's what they're going for. Most are at or decently above MSRP. Hoping people here have their ear to the ground a little better than I have yet.

So my questions are:
- Are dealers coming off of MSRP at all? I'm about to start pricing it out locally but figured I'd ask the experts first.
- What is fuel mileage like with 35's and 3.55's? Currently have 35's and 4.10's on my DRW and get about 10-12 AT BEST with elderly driving habits. Not terribly impressed because it's also a laggy pig.
- Would the 10 speed be good for my driving habits? Would be a F350 long bed with 35's, can't decide between SRW and DRW.
- What are current lead times looking like? On here I've seen some having 8-9 month lead times but some as low as 4 months. Granted the longer lead times are higher trim pickups and I will probably only be interested in a Lariat at most, if that.
- Is the new radio/tech buggy and/or glitchy? I could write a novel about the radio/tech/ECM issues I've had.
- Can the XLT be optioned with the proximity entry option, with the button on the door handle? Is this what the "Autolock/Auto Unlock" is on the XLT Value and Premium Packages? I hate having to access my keys to only unlock the truck, when the button is an availability. This would make me jump to Lariat if not, call me spoiled.

Appreciate any help, don't be too hard on me for owning a Cummins. I still love watching the builds on here, I followed Black AOD's, Jomax's, and bigrpower's builds for a long time while I was dreaming.

Last edited:

leeparnell89

Reaction score
A little update and some answers:

I'm on the list to be scheduled for a 2023 build as soon as they open in October. Ordering a pretty decently optioned Lariat Ultimate, but have left out the options with commodity issues. Hopefully this will help with lead time.

Answers that I've come across in research:
- Found a couple dealers that aren't adding any to sticker. They won't go into detail about 2023 pricing so we'll see how that holds up.
- Fuel mileage seems decent according to some folks with 35's to 37's with 3.55's. At least compared to my current setup.
- Still researching.
- Still to be determined, hoping for 6 months or less. As above, I've left out bedliner, gooseneck/5th wheel prep, black appearance, adaptive steering, and pretty much every option I've read to be a commodity restraint thus far.
- Still researching, haven't seen much thankfully.
- XLT cannot be optioned with the proximity entry. Ford calls this "Intelligent Entry" instead of dodge's "proximity entry". The autolock/unlock is just upon takeoff. Lariat Ultimate is required for the intelligent entry option.

One question for current owners, is the Intelligent Entry option worth it over the Securicode keypad? This option is literally the only reason I'm getting the Ultimate package.

Sterling6.7

Reaction score
The intelligent entry/keyless start is pretty nice. I have so many other vehicles/tractors/whatevers that don’t have it, I get screwed up almost daily.

The LED headlights are nice and worth it. The sunroof is pretty nice too. I would recommend the 360 view cameras.

If you need a broker to go through, send me a PM.

Tiha

Super Moderator
Super Mod
Reaction score
Guy here at work ordered a new pickup with Tremor package in late march, early april. They gave him a discount for waiting.

Was supposed to be here a couple weeks ago. Now they are telling him they have no idea when it will show up. They currently do not have all the parts needed to build it.

So remember, you are talking to a salesman who works on commission. If you are ordering there is no guarantee if or when it will show up if it is something you depend on.

leeparnell89

Reaction score
Did you call my guy? Or go through someone else?
I emailed him but he never responded. I haven't had a chance to call yet, I'll try to do that this evening. The ford house in the next town over talked through what he could with me and seemed knowledgeable so I went ahead and got on the list for now.

leeparnell89

Reaction score
The intelligent entry/keyless start is pretty nice. I have so many other vehicles/tractors/whatevers that don’t have it, I get screwed up almost daily.

The LED headlights are nice and worth it. The sunroof is pretty nice too. I would recommend the 360 view cameras.

If you need a broker to go through, send me a PM.
I honestly thought the push button start was great at first, until I saw how counterintuitive it is to pull the keys out, unlock it, then put them back in my pocket. It took me forever to stop laying my keys down and having them slide down into the floorboard and get lost. I don't understand why the Intelligent/Proximity entry isn't standard. I understand that on some manufacturers it's not exactly the safest but on dodge's it only unlocks the driver door and only after it is actuated by the doorhandle button. Is this how it functions on the fords?

I also got the LED headlights and am pretty excited about this as it will be my first vehicle with this luxury, lol. I'm usually a bare minimum options kind of guy when it comes to trucks but I'm starting to get spoiled.

leeparnell89

Reaction score
Guy here at work ordered a new pickup with Tremor package in late march, early april. They gave him a discount for waiting.

Was supposed to be here a couple weeks ago. Now they are telling him they have no idea when it will show up. They currently do not have all the parts needed to build it.

So remember, you are talking to a salesman who works on commission. If you are ordering there is no guarantee if or when it will show up if it is something you depend on.
Yessir, I'm taking it with a grain of salt at this point. Especially with so little known about the 23's and being so far out still, "predictions" hold very little weight. That's just my personal hope, who knows what will actually happen.

leeparnell89

Reaction score
Glad to see you're considering making the jump. Price tags are ridiculous. But you pay for what you get.... 🤣
:ROFLMAO: touche, that's a fair point lol. At this point I'm on the list to build a 23 but if a 22 comes up in my area with my must-have's then I'll probably jump on it.
I honestly can't say much about price tags now, I priced an equivalent dodge for shit's and giggles and it's on par with a Lariat Ultimate. I'm just glad I bought when I did. Trade-in value for my truck is 20% higher than I paid for it in December 2021.

Latest posts

Members online