Side of the road. . .need advice.

TyCorr

Reaction score
Who said you have to have a predetermined set mods on your truck to be a member of this forum? AKGandy doesn't even have a powerstroke.

I agree. He's being.humble/polite, imo. Thats an admirable trait in my book.

KPSquared

Reaction score
That would be it. . .when the big shift from PSN happened, a large majority of the first to go were pretty hard core trucks. I love reading and watching these trucks grow but I'm just not in that league. Just some simple mods make me love my ugly old truck.:beer:

Now I just want to get dad's fixed on as little of his pension as I can. . .

KPSquared

Reaction score
OK, so, here's the story so far. . .again. . .

I took one of the supposedly "good used" injectors that I bought from that guy and replaced the one I thought was bad (based on the ammount of spray in my video). . . it did the exact same thing.

This lead me to the conclusion that it's just left over fuel and oil misting from the cylinder and not a bad injector.

This morning, the only hole blowing anything out of it was the one that I'd just changed the injector in. The others were silent but I saw a small ammount of mist from the one closest to the firewall on the drivers side (number 8, I think)

With the glow plugs out under normal circumstance, should you see anything spraying out of the hole? Is there enough diesel from an injector to see mist?

I'm going to let it sit overnight with all the injectors in and then crank it again tomorrow and see if there is spray from anywhere. I think I really screwed myself when I pulled the one to get at the glow plug last time. . .

I'm either going to get my hands on my buddies Snap On brick or just suck it up and by AE (I've been meaning to for months now. . .) and at least do a buzz test and make sure I've got HPOP pressure when cranking.

This may not be an injector issue but more electrical. . . IDM maybe?

This rig has 430,000 kms on it and everything but the trans is stock.

KPSquared

Reaction score
Hey guys,

Been a while. The truck has just been sitting. Finally got a scanner to see what kind of codes were stored.

Got P0237, P1690, and P0603. . .

Does that spark anything for anyone?

Just checking. Trying to spend as little as possible to fix this thing. . .

zilla68

Reaction score
P0237- turbo boost sensor A circuit low input,open short to ground or 5V, faulty sensor

P1690- wastegate failure koeo

P0603- pcm kam test error, open pcm pin, disconnected b+, faulty pcm

Bustedknuckles

Reaction score
With all the time and money you've wasted by now you could have had a shop diagnose it and be further ahead.....

Bustedknuckles

Reaction score
HAven't spent a dime at this point. Thanks for the great, helpful advice though.

Oh you are quite welcome good sir. LOL. I work as a tech full time and it pains me to see people waste time and money throwing parts at problems but without a scanner your hands are really tied. The white smoke indicates its getting fuel and a cracked injector tip shouldn't cause a no start. I'm thinking a HPO problem or electrical but you need a scanner to go much further. P.S., none of those codes will cause the symptoms you are having.

KPSquared

Reaction score
I just don't have the $125/hour it costs to have a shop do the guessing for me. We have time now,do I'll just keep chipping away at it.

I thought that's part of what these forums were for. . DIY support. A lot of good it does me to have a tech tell me to take it to a shop. Makes it even better when said tech comes of looking like a prick.

Ad8 PRODIGY

Reaction score
I thought that's part of what these forums were for. . DIY support. A lot of good it does me to have a tech tell me to take it to a shop. Makes it even better when said tech comes of looking like a prick.

Gotta help them help you. If that makes any sense. Hopefully it does. You weren't giving anyone much to go on, and they are giving you all they can at the moment.

Good luck

Bustedknuckles

Reaction score
I just don't have the $125/hour it costs to have a shop do the guessing for me. We have time now,do I'll just keep chipping away at it.

Good shops don't guess..... Get yourself a scanner and some data and I'll be the most helpful mofo around. Until then we are all guessing. Honestly with that first post I did come off as a prick, sorry bout that!

KPSquared

Reaction score
So, I'm back again. . .

Dad ended up stuck at home in BC for most of the summer while his truck just sat.

We finally got it into a shop here who is supposed to know something about Powerstrokes.

Well, the turbo was dumping oil like crazy. They fixed that.

Starts fine, idles fine, but any throttle and it over fuels. Code reader said #8 cylinder contribution.

So they swap some injectors around and now there are no codes, but still runs the same way. Shop seems to be at a loss. I'm kinda pissed as I figured they would be able to do something more than I could but other than a few scans, they haven't really impressed me. . .

Anyone got anything else? The shop seems to be ready to give up. Dad is stressed. I don't have time to work on it any more and there are no other diesel shops worth crap around here.

Even just something I could talk to the mechanic about to jog his brain?

Oh, and they pulled the IPR and it was slightly bent. We didn't think anyone had been in there to mess that up. They swapped it out with a used one but that brought no change. What the heck could bend an IPR?

Last edited:

CSIPSD

Reaction score
I've bent one by not having my socket on it square. The tube that the actuator slides on is very thin.

Have they done a compression check? If its over fueling it sounds like a broken nozzle. I would assume they have checked that, as well as installed new injector O rings when installing them.

Have them do a compression check and report back.

I have not read this thread in months...

Assuming it has good ICP, Fuel pressure and no IDM codes it should run otherwise.

CSIPSD

Reaction score
A PSD can not over fuel... If the compression is good (above 350psi) and the ICP is good, then the only thing it can be is a broken nozzle or something internal in an injector.

As complex as these trucks seem, they really are not.

KPSquared

Reaction score
Cool. I'll tell the wrench that. I think he just used the phrase to describe the symptom.

He figured it was probably something mechanical with one injector.

He was hoping to use a breakout box that the Ford dealer has here. Isolate each injector to narrow things down. I think dad would put a new set of sticks in if he knew for sure it would fix it.

I guess we'll see.

CSIPSD

Reaction score
You say compression is good, but no numbers. Is someone telling you compression is good or did they test it?

KPSquared

Reaction score
They tested it 2 days ago. I didn't get numbers. The mechanic said "we tested compression and its good, maybe a little low across the board but that's expected with that many mlies"

How low is to low? 350 the bare minimum?

CSIPSD

Reaction score
My motor has 325 more or less across the board. Its considered low.

I would be more concerned with a number that was way out of wack.

Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.