Single vs compounds

spongebob915

Reaction score
Is there any benefits having compounds over a single turbo if the drive is not a dd and just mainly used for track or weekend driving?

V-Ref

Reaction score
I'm interested here too.

My 7.3 is now in "toy" status, and I've concluded that a nitrous bottle, solenoid and jet(s), are easier to tune, work around, and ultimately have more scalability than a XX mm inducer Atmo turbo.

From driving a 6.4....I'd say there's no comparison to the daily driven experience than a compound truck.

OP-Is that where you're leaning with this?

spongebob915

Reaction score
I'm interested here too.

My 7.3 is now in "toy" status, and I've concluded that a nitrous bottle, solenoid and jet(s), are easier to tune, work around, and ultimately have more scalability than a XX mm inducer Atmo turbo.

From driving a 6.4....I'd say there's no comparison to the daily driven experience than a compound truck.

OP-Is that where you're leaning with this?

Never driven a 6.4 truck. I was just trying to see if it was really worth all the money doing it. Just because my truck seemed real smokey on the higher tunes it seemed like I needed more air. But just changed my tunes today and truck runs %100 better with very little smoke. A single turbo setup correctly I would think should work just fine for what I need. May do nitrous . Think Im going to just keep it the way it is for now.

dentexpowerstroke

Reaction score
I've been thinking this too. Thinking about either a single 75, 80 or doing a compound setup like a gtx4294r/s510 or a 75/104. Just don't know if it's worth the money it'd cost

spongebob915

Reaction score
I've been thinking this too. Thinking about either a single 75, 80 or doing a compound setup like a gtx4294r/s510 or a 75/104. Just don't know if it's worth the money it'd cost

So a gtx4294r would be small enough to work? That is What I have now as the single.

Last edited:

spongebob915

Reaction score
Who's tunes did you use ?

Gearhead and somebody else who does tunes. GearHead tunes make my truck run %100 better than the Swamps tunes. Just need to compare track times. It does seem slower. But that could be just in my head. The power comes on much later with slot less smoke. Just wondering if he takes slot of fuel out and there is still more left. I'm not tuning person so I have No clue how or What they do.

dentexpowerstroke

Reaction score
So a gtx4294r would be small enough to work? That is What I have now as the single.

For what I use the truck for, yes. A single that I can actually get to spool won't clean up my injectors. I had 300/200s and my 75mm cleaned it up fine. Really if I had your injectors I would go to a smaller hp, something that spools faster because if you have a gtx4294r and it's already doing a good job of cleaning everything up then what's the point of putting another turbo out in front of it. But if you drop to a smaller, faster spooling turbo as the hp turbo then it benefits your more with increased spool up while cleaning up the fuel.

V-Ref

Reaction score
There's not a single turbo available that can 100% clean up/utilize the fueling/full power potential of a hybrid/200% nozzle injector.

Point being...an atmo/nitrous will be needed to see all the potential out of those 300/200s imo.

1badpsd

Reaction score
A single setup right can clean a 300/200 and still spool fast. Im running a s475/83 1.10 and for a 75 it lights extremely fast and cleans them up to no more than a haze, its also barely hazes spooling up on the line.

Pwnm30rdi3

Reaction score
A single setup right can clean a 300/200 and still spool fast. Im running a s475/83 1.10 and for a 75 it lights extremely fast and cleans them up to no more than a haze, its also barely hazes spooling up on the line.

A single will not clean up 300/200's on the street without de-tuning. On the track or during a pull it might clean up nicely.
This is why I am building a compound set-up.

isootmypants

Reaction score
A single will not clean up 300/200's on the street without de-tuning. On the track or during a pull it might clean up nicely.
This is why I am building a compound set-up.

What do you mean, on the street? I have swamps 300/200 and a 75/88/1.15 and I can daily it with out a puff of smoke at all. Swamps tunes. Anything will and can smoke out a road if you put your foot in it. Only time it gets smokey is when I'm pulling a trailer up a long hill, take overdrive off and just a haze.

Pwnm30rdi3

Reaction score
What do you mean, on the street? I have swamps 300/200 and a 75/88/1.15 and I can daily it with out a puff of smoke at all. Swamps tunes. Anything will and can smoke out a road if you put your foot in it. Only time it gets smokey is when I'm pulling a trailer up a long hill, take overdrive off and just a haze.

What I am saying is that with a single turbo that large, you either have to tune or drive around the turbo because it won't spool until a much higher RPM.
A properly designed compound set-up will allow you to utilize more fuel at the lower RPMs. Which in turn means that the amount of smoke would me much less.
The goal is to try to match the amount of fuel you have with the proper amount of air. While your turbo may do this at or after 2,300 RPM. My compounds will do the same at 1,700RPM.

DocBar

Reaction score
Think I have made my mind up.
Getting the gtx4202r and nitrous.

Throttle response, towing and drag racing are why I'm doing compounds. I'm also doing nitrous :evil:

After driving a compounded 7.3, there's no way I'm not doing them. As someone on here said, the 7.3 should've come from the factory with compounds.

spongebob915

Reaction score
My truck now drives like a stock truck of not better with the gtx4294r. Just want more air and nitrous. Don't feel spending all the money for compounds.

Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.