Sloppy Gear Salector (auto) and gear indicator

LawnRanger

Reaction score
Last week I went to back out of the drive way in the plow truck, and when I shifted into reverse I heard a SNAP, and the lever was all sloppy. It had been sloppy for a few years, but now I couldn't put it back in park, but I was able to drop it into neutral. Towed it to the shop w/the Ventrac and I found that the tube for the gear selector (plunger) had broke. Good thing it's not snowing or I'd be SOL.

I made some posts as to how I was fixing it, and I've been getting some questions, so I decided to start a thread on how to fix the problem of a sloppy gear selector. At the end I will also address a broken or miss aligned gear indicator arrow.

Your problem is most likely bad bushings, but if your going to dig in far enough to replace the bushings, you may as well replace the tube, plunger, bushings, and the rear bushing cap.

First remove the lower dash cover from under the steering column using a T20 Tourques bit, or a 9/32 socket.

Steringcolum97.jpg

Steringcolum971.jpg

Next remove the 4 screws from the bottom column cover.

Steringcolum972.jpg

Don't forget the one on the right at the back.

Steringcolum973.jpg

Now if you have a tilt wheel, you'll need to remove the tilt lever before you can take off the lower cover.

Next (if you have tilt wheel you can skip this step) remove the upper dash cover, so you can remove the upper column cover. To do this use a knife or flat screw driver to remove the cover caps.

Steringcolum977.jpg

Then remove the 2 screws. 1 under each cap on either side of the column. When you take this off don't forget to unhook your fuel tank switch, and the wait to start light.

Steringcolum978.jpg

Now, before you can remove the upper column cover, you will need to remove the ignition switch by sticking a punch in the pin hole. Then with the keys in the ignition, turn it clock ways a quarter turn, and pull the switch out.

Steringcolum975.jpg

Steringcolum976.jpg

Now pull the upper cover off your column, and it should look like this.

Steringcolum97001-1.jpg

Next, unhook the wiring block under the column using a 7mm socket. Also unhook the connection behind the wiring block. Now is a good time to unhook the shifter cable from the gear selector too.

Steringcolum9712.jpg

Steringcolum9713.jpg

Now remove the 4 13mm nuts that holds the steering column up, and lay the steering wheel on the seat.

Steringcolum9714warrows.jpg

The next part I forgot to take a pic of, but I know you guys are smart enough that it won't mater. You will need to remove the caps that go over the plastic bushings, and hold the whole assembly in. They look like the straps that hold electrical conduit to the wall. You will use a T30 torques bit.

Now you're ready to pull the assembly out.
This is where my tube was broke.

Steringcolum96006.jpg

Steringcolum96009.jpg

These are the parts and the Ford part #s you will need. Cost should be about $70 - $100 depending on the dealer.

1-Tube.......1F1Z7212AA
1-Camp......F2DZ7E400A
2-Bushing...F3TZ7L278A
1-Plunger...F7DZ7R264AA

Now put it all back together and you'll find your shifter works almost as good as new, if not as good as new.

PART II The Gear Indicator Arrow

Some have asked about the gear indicator arrow. This was not working on one of my trucks. The problem was the white plastic keeper was all busted up. For reference this is the new one.

Steringcolum97parts007.jpg

To get this from Ford, you must buy a whole new Indicator Gauge Assembly Kit. At my dealer it was $25. So I went and got the white plastic keeper at a junk yard. Cost $0. I found it, pulled it, and they said screw it, just take it.

If that's not your problem I've heard the cable can brake. Well, after screwing around with it, when I went to install the plastic keeper, I found the cable has broken at the base of the adjustment threads. Well I was too lazy to go back to the junk yard, so I used JB Weld, and it worked great. Now use the black wheel to fine tune where the orange arrow points to.

Steringcolum9711.jpg

Steringcolum9710.jpg

I hope this has helped some of you.

zilla68

Reaction score
I can't wait to see this, mine is just like you described (work blocked all your pictures), but thanks for the write up, I'll be doing this asap!

DIE5EL

Reaction score
Good work, and good write up. My selector is loose and sometimes it binds where i can't get it into park. I just haven't looked into this. Know I got a good idea where to start..

Thanks!,
kyle
:fordoval:

LawnRanger

Reaction score
Thanks guys. This has been a frustration on my truck for years, but I had no idea what was causing it. :fustrate: I hope the way I wrote it wasn't too elementary, but I wanted it to be easy to follow. I don't want someone to be worried about what they're getting themselves into, like I was. lol

907DAVE

Reaction score
Good work, and good write up. My selector is loose and sometimes it binds where i can't get it into park. I just haven't looked into this. Know I got a good idea where to start..

Thanks!,
kyle
:fordoval:

Check the two bolts on the back of the tube, those love to back out.

I have changed so many of the tube and plungers now, they dont like the cold too well.

DIE5EL

Reaction score
Check the two bolts on the back of the tube, those love to back out.

I have changed so many of the tube and plungers now, they dont like the cold too well.

Thanks for the info. Ill see if I can get time to look at it this weekend

Thanks,
Kyle

907DAVE

Reaction score
Procedure is the same, but the part numbers will be different for the tube.

DIE5EL

Reaction score
Did any one get around to doing this last weekend? If so, how did it go?

I did not get around to getting mine done. But I did get under there to see what was the deal. I first looked at the bolts on the bottom of the tube and the bolts were tight. It seems like its coming from somewhere in the center if the tube. I need to get the parts ordered.. Ill let you know what I find

Kyle :fordoval:

Poon

Reaction score
Just replaced my bushing and the 2 screws on the end of the shaft had backed out , luckily my shaft hasn't broken yet, but the screw backing out and worn bushing made for some horribe shifting.

Latest posts

Members online