Small Bump

01PSD

Reaction score
When I first take off.. there's a small thump in the drive line it feels like. It happens as soon as you press the pedal and the truck starts to move. It feels almost like something is engaging or sliding into place. Any idea what it could be?

01PSD

Reaction score
Thanks a lot guys for the advice, I'll get all this stuff checked out as soon as possible and report back. It's done it ever since I got the truck back in September. We asked the guy about it and he said it had always done it.. which was a little hard for me to believe because it definitely doesn't feel like something you should experience on every takeoff

Zaairman

Reaction score
A little thump is very very common on these trucks, unfortunately. Don't forget to check your carrier barring (supports the middle of the driveshaft).

01PSD

Reaction score
Yeah trust me i'm one of those people that notices every little thing when I'm driving my truck, which is a good thing I guess haha. It's just gotten to the point where I figured I'd ask you guys because I wasn't sure if it was something that is a big problem or or could lead to a bigger problem in the future. Once we get everything checked out this weekend guys I'll report back, but I'll go ahead and thank everyone now. :thumbsup:

JLDickmon

Reaction score
mine's been thumping for a couple years.. and I've been chasing it.. new U-joints, put a grease fitting in the slip yoke, new carrier bearing etc...

finally pulled the yoke apart & cleaned it, lo & behold the damn thing is worn out..

01PSD

Reaction score
I really hope we can figure out the 40-50mph hop and the thump off the start. Hopefully we can knock them both out at the same time

Dslfumes

Reaction score
Mine does this also. I think my problem is that when I took off my 6" lift I never took the 1" spacer out of my carrier bearing bracket.

dmd

Reaction score
It is real common for the splines from the output shift on the trans to the driveshaft to get dry. They have a special grease at the dealer for it. Easy to check. Only needs a tiny bit of grease to fix it.

Check the other stuff too, but the dry splines is a very common problem.

Latest posts

Members online