smoked & led bulbed 08+ tails

Zmann

Reaction score
they have quality issues and their warranty is usually " We will sell you more of our cra.p at a discount" so they make even more $$ off of you as a reward for selling a defective /cheap part cause you know that the ""discount"" still leaves room for profit

there is no reason they couldn't be a stand up company IMHO just there business model doesn't tolerate that LOL

Last edited:

big blue

Reaction score
I got my bulbs at retro-solutions.com It's been a while but I think you just need the one that fits your socket. They have charts and a bulb finder on the site if memory serves me. I did the tails with VHT Nightshades. Both Autozone and Advance carry it around here. Usually around the header/engine paint with the other VHT stuff. Just be careful with it, it gets dark quick if you use too much.

Thanks to use the 08 lights is yheir any thing special you gave to do to use them.

TyCorr

Reaction score
So, wait a.second, the harness on the truck is the same? But the pigtail from pass side to dr side, light to light, that plugs into the wiring on the dr.side.frame is different? know what pn the pigtail is? I just wonder if it will plug in, and furthermore work, in a older truck.

Anybody that has done this know?

FallenAuthority

Reaction score
So, wait a.second, the harness on the truck is the same? But the pigtail from pass side to dr side, light to light, that plugs into the wiring on the dr.side.frame is different? know what pn the pigtail is? I just wonder if it will plug in, and furthermore work, in a older truck.

Anybody that has done this know?

Not the whole harness. A pigtail, meaning about 5" of wire and the connector. Then you will need the bulb socket. So you need 2 reverse light pigtails and two reverse light bulb sockets. You will have to cut your old reverse light pigtails off and wire in the new ones.

TyCorr

Reaction score
Not the whole harness. A pigtail, meaning about 5" of wire and the connector. Then you will need the bulb socket. So you need 2 reverse light pigtails and two reverse light bulb sockets. You will have to cut your old reverse light pigtails off and wire in the new ones.

Ok, can anybody go back.farther and tell me if the plug on the frame is the same? Id rather not cut it if I can but the 5' of harness and simply plug it in to the existing harness.

AirFishAutomotive

Reaction score
Incase you're wondering about the led back up lights too, I got you covered

122-1.jpg

So you don't think the led are bright enough when you go that dark on the lenses..?

FallenAuthority

Reaction score
So you don't think the led are bright enough when you go that dark on the lenses..?

I know mine are about that dark and I had a guy pull up next to me the other day and tell me my brake lights didnt work(they did but it is too dim in daylight to see them).
I need to find a REALLY bright set of bulbs or I will just strip the niteshades back off of these and use them as stock 08 tails.

TyCorr

Reaction score
Do you guys find the cree reverse lights to be very bright? I think the reverse lights on my truck are very insufficient. Im planning on doing a recon light bar that does RL, rev lights, scan turn signal, and brake lights. My aim is to increase visibility for me and increase visibility for others following me.

Im not into vht as it make the light too dim. Do the aftermarket tailights, meaning a replacement housing, increase functionality? Brighter? I would be running clear not smoked if that makes a difference. I had smoked recon that never left the box and were sold.

I know jackshti about lights. :D

F15CrewDawg

Reaction score
For me the Cree reverse lights were MUCH brighter than the standard bulbs. And if you're planning on clears then it will be even more pronounced. Even with my VHT tails, I've had people come from behind my truck and ask why my reverse lights are so bright. The only issue I have is being able to see out the tinted rear glass at night, everything is nice and bright in the mirrors though :)

TyCorr

Reaction score
For me the Cree reverse lights were MUCH brighter than the standard bulbs. And if you're planning on clears then it will be even more pronounced. Even with my VHT tails, I've had people come from behind my truck and ask why my reverse lights are so bright. The only issue I have is being able to see out the tinted rear glass at night, everything is nice and bright in the mirrors though :)

I want overkill reverse lights. My truck is lifted and there are kids around. If that recon light bar didnt provide enough light, Id put some offroad lights under the rearbumper too!

F15CrewDawg

Reaction score
I think with clear lenses you'll be happy with the Cree. If I remember right there are two different styles concerning the lens cap on the bulb itself. One works better with the backup camera than the other. I got which ever one it defaults to in the shopping cart and cant really use my camera at night. I can't remember which style you're suppose to get, so if you decide to get them I'd give Retro a call first to make sure you get the one you need. Other than that I wouldn't trade my Crees for anything.

Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.