Smokes like crazy till 95 oil temp after ******?

Dalpilot

Reaction score
I'm lazy as hell but anyone know what I need to do to get this thing to not smoke like an old 6.0 with 225's and a stock turbo, when its cold? Once I hit 95* oil temps it is fine. Before that it seems to limit power and boost but not fuel. I talked to my tuner and he said to unplug all 3 egr plugs. My egr cooler is sitting in my shed out back. Mikes Egr ****** is installed.

Suggestions?

UNBROKEN

Reaction score
Tim, did you unplug the valve thing on the front where your H&S pipe goes?

golfer

Reaction score
my chit does the same thing.

zerrrrro boost until ~100deg EOT...and then not full power/boost until 150deg EOT

got my ass handed to me by a pontiac a couple of weeks ago, LOL

Reaction score
I'm pretty sure he's using the OEM replacement version.

Thanks buddy.

If that's the case, I would check and see if you have the sensor in place per step 4 of the instructions and the o-ring in place per step 5. If those are correct, continue on with your diagnosis. I just see those get missed pretty often so I thought I would ask.

TexAg56

Reaction score
My truck does same thing. When its cold it has very restricted power and will blow a lot of black smoke.. once its warmed up, runs perfect. Which I am fine with. I try not to dog on the truck until its warmed up anyways. Not sure if its supposed to be that way though.

pwrstrkrmy

Reaction score
my chit does the same thing.

zerrrrro boost until ~100deg EOT...and then not full power/boost until 150deg EOT

got my ass handed to me by a pontiac a couple of weeks ago, LOL

Sorry for your troubles... but glad to hear someone else is experiencing this. My '15 does the exact same thing and I've been racking my brain to figure out what it is. Have you had any luck in figuring it out? I'm going to PM you so we can swap mod details.

pwrstrkrmy

Reaction score
My truck does same thing. When its cold it has very restricted power and will blow a lot of black smoke.. once its warmed up, runs perfect. Which I am fine with. I try not to dog on the truck until its warmed up anyways. Not sure if its supposed to be that way though.
Mine's very similar... no (or very little) turbo until 100 deg F. It seems to start boosting after that and get full capability around 150 deg F. Difference is - It doesn't smoke at all.

Notneb

Reaction score
What's the ambient temp when you're seeing this? Never experienced what you're talking about at 32 degrees ambient. Only difference in my truck between cold and operating temp is hard shifts until the trans hits 120.

pwrstrkrmy

Reaction score
Ambient temps between ~20 F and ~70 F. Doesn't seem to make a difference, except for how long it takes the ECT/EOT to reach ~100 F.

** Here's an interesting data point: while it's 'underboosting' on it's way to 100 F and i push it a little, it'll make to 2-3 psi. If i lift throttle while it's at 2-3, the boost will go UP to 6-7 for a second before it drops back to 0. **

For reference - I'm running:

- GH programming
- EGR bypass
- CCV bypass
- NoLimit stage 1 intake
- 4" Flow-Pro down pipe back

This is new behavior post mods. I did everything at once - so don't know which caused it.

TexAg56

Reaction score
I took a video this morning otw to work. Was planning on uploading it to show you exactly what mine is doing. Unfortunatly it wont upload until I have wifi, which wont be until tonight.

Dalpilot

Reaction score
I am running Someones tunes who wishes to remain annonymous due to the EPA. He has tuned everything I own including when I owned Deranged.

pwrstrkrmy

Reaction score
Good idea. I have a vid I can upload. It's a little rough... but it'll do the trick.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.