Smokes like crazy till 95 oil temp after ******?

pwrstrkrmy

Reaction score
Please forgive the quality. You can see it not produce boost, then as it begins to, you can see the limited boost increase on throttle lift. I cut the first minute as it was producing no boost whatsoever. After ~100 F it starts to behave regularly. After ~150 F, runs like a champ. It never smokes.

I do not usually drive it like this. This run was only to produce this video. I let it warm to ~100 F every time I drive it. I'm afraid I'm going to break something.

https://vimeo.com/152080519

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

20156point7

Reaction score
I remember around this time last year I started a thread about this. The first couple of versions of pip tunes was bad for this, I remember I didn't have all 3 of the egr plugs unplugged and it was so bad I could barely get to 50 mph and the smoke was horrible. Now they have got it figured out and it runs completely normal when its cold. The 15s are really finicky

TexAg56

Reaction score
Well were both running GHead tunes maybe that has something to do with it? Not sure because mine is a 16 and his is a 14. Also I was told by Mike from no limit to not unplug anything on the EGR. Hmm idk man I though what they were doing was normal considering it runs great once warm

TexAg56

Reaction score
h_D2D0B7C8-F4AF-4BE7-9BA0-478CB893D7EB_zpsmianiq6q.png

CATDiezel

Reaction score
Well. To throw something out there "tuning" wise....

This exact problem exists on the 11-14's IF the M.A.F. sensor starts acting up. Identical scenerio.

So my directional thought is, is it a MAF tuning issue?

sootie

Reaction score
Well. To throw something out there "tuning" wise....

This exact problem exists on the 11-14's IF the M.A.F. sensor starts acting up. Identical scenerio.

So my directional thought is, is it a MAF tuning issue?

my thoughts exactly. Curious to know what cold air intakes they are running...

Dalpilot

Reaction score
I am running Mikes cold air intake. I am also fully ******d. No egr cooler in the truck at all so all 3 plugs are disconnected.

Notneb

Reaction score
I am running Mikes cold air intake. I am also fully ******d. No egr cooler in the truck at all so all 3 plugs are disconnected.

Stage 1 right? I run Stage 2, not sure if that's gonna make a dif with the MAF?

CATDiezel

Reaction score
Regardless of what filter the MAF is calibrated to a known value with the stock air filter system.

However. On the 11-14 I believe somehow in tuning that was set to "OFF"

PLEASE, feel free to correct what I stated, only going off what I think I know on that.

jwanck11

Reaction score
I am GH tuned, all my junk fell off :D, stage 2 intake and my truck does not behave that way at all. I have full turbo from the jump - though I do not drive it hard at all until its warm.

I'm not sure it's a tuning related thing.

drunk on diesel

Reaction score
I am GH tuned, all my junk fell off :D, stage 2 intake and my truck does not behave that way at all. I have full turbo from the jump - though I do not drive it hard at all until its warm.

I'm not sure it's a tuning related thing.

do bone stock trucks have the same no-power condition in these temps? :confused:

bdm1981

Reaction score
I had a similar deal with mine when I first ******d it. Smoked like crazy when it wasn't warmed up then cleaned up after I drove it. I didn't unplug the valve that goes to the intake by the fan shroud. On the CAC pipe to the intake. Unplugged it and my issue went away. Never had a tuning issue cause it. And I've had several different tuners on my truck.

SpartanDieselTech

Reaction score
I had a similar deal with mine when I first ******d it. Smoked like crazy when it wasn't warmed up then cleaned up after I drove it. I didn't unplug the valve that goes to the intake by the fan shroud. On the CAC pipe to the intake. Unplugged it and my issue went away. Never had a tuning issue cause it. And I've had several different tuners on my truck.

It is most certainly a tuning issue, the valve is not shut off properly.

SpartanDieselTech

Reaction score
I'm assuming that if its not turned off tuning wise and the valve is unplugged it can do the same thing?

Yes, if it isn't turned off properly in the calibration, and is still plugged in, it will neuter the airflow during periods when the ECM turns it "on".

Latest posts

Members online