Snow/ice tires?

Lysons

Reaction score
What do you guys suggest for tires in the winter?
Bare in mind I live in rural Alberta and we get some UGLY storms.
I currently have P275/65R20 Michelin LTX A/T 2.

backwoodsboy

Reaction score
Treadwright Guard Dog M/T 285/70R17 with their kedge grip compound (crushed glass and walnut shell in the rubber), and had a local place pin and stud them.
Last winter was the first time I haven't had to chain up to get in/out of my place.

weazel

Reaction score
Treadwright Guard Dog M/T 285/70R17 with their kedge grip compound (crushed glass and walnut shell in the rubber), and had a local place pin and stud them.
Last winter was the first time I haven't had to chain up to get in/out of my place.

After I lifted my truck I wanted those, but they only go up to 35"

Sent from in a ditch up side down and on fire with the wheels still spinning

backwoodsboy

Reaction score
After I lifted my truck I wanted those, but they only go up to 35"

I run 35/12.5R17 in the summer but figured I could live with having a shorter tire if it also meant cutting down the width by an inch for less float in the snow.
It doesn't snow here extremely often but when it does we get 12-16 inches overnight and it's some of the wettest/slickest snow I've ever been in. Doesn't help I have 4 miles of gravel down a mountain to the nearest maintained road.

weazel

Reaction score
I run 35/12.5R17 in the summer but figured I could live with having a shorter tire if it also meant cutting down the width by an inch for less float in the snow.
It doesn't snow here extremely often but when it does we get 12-16 inches overnight and it's some of the wettest/slickest snow I've ever been in. Doesn't help I have 4 miles of gravel down a mountain to the nearest maintained road.

Yeah, but with a 10" lift 35's would look goofy. Besides a little fishtailing is fun every now and again, as long as it don't get out of control

backwoodsboy

Reaction score
Yeah, but with a 10" lift 35's would look goofy. Besides a little fishtailing is fun every now and again, as long as it don't get out of control

Truth. I'm only lifted 4" so 35's fit nicely.
When I'm feeling frisky in the winter I throw a set of bald thorn-birds on the back and leave the studded 33's upfront to help me get home in 4lo.
Donuts for days with the front tires planted and the rears spinning at 60mph.

weazel

Reaction score
Truth. I'm only lifted 4" so 35's fit nicely.
When I'm feeling frisky in the winter I throw a set of bald thorn-birds on the back and leave the studded 33's upfront to help me get home in 4lo.
Donuts for days with the front tires planted and the rears spinning at 60mph.

I leave her in 2wd and fly around all crossed up looking like a little Asian kid in a 240sx

ToMang07

Reaction score
Duratracs. LOVE mine, use them year round, but they do GREAT in the winter plowing.

5828_635386783331_1124365464_n.jpg

Atsah

Reaction score
Duratracs seem to be the best for me.. The more aggressive the tire the worse it is on ice and the better it is in deep snow.. It's pretty near impossible to have the best of both worlds but the Duratracs seem to have a little softer tread compound than most aggressive tires so they do work pretty well..

With that said, if I was going to be driving on a lot of ice I would go with something specific to the task (studded Duratracs probably) and switch em out at the end of the season...

jaybuller

Reaction score
duratracs just lke stated already....they flat work. (i had them on my truck in michigan) moved to maine and now have bfg all terrains...i know im gonna be missing my duratracs come january

mclean

Reaction score
I do, and I do a lot of sledding in the mountains in the winter as well so I have been through a storm or 2 going through the passes and I love these duratracs

Lysons

Reaction score
I do, and I do a lot of sledding in the mountains in the winter as well so I have been through a storm or 2 going through the passes and I love these duratracs

On dads old 2000 F350 Lariat LE, we ran BFG all terrains for the longest time and I think either Toyos or some name that escapes me, I remember them being great in snow but very slick on ice.

Daryl@TDP

Reaction score
Don't get alot of snow where I live. We did get 14 inches few years ago and my toyo mts did nothing short of amazing on the snow/ice. Never once made me nervous even once the roads iced over.

Latest posts