SO....MUCH...BOOOST

03cody

Reaction score
Ok, so I was driving along, just minding my own business, when all of the sudden I get stuck behind granny grey hair. So, I pull out to pass and I haven't ran my truck hard for a while so I figured I would clear out the cobbwebs.

As soon as I stepped down, the boost jumped up to 32 psi on my insight. The truck did not have the power that it normally does and it was not cackling like normal. When I let off, I had a massive turbo bark. Thought all that was weird so I changed some gauges around and looked at boost and backpressure along with ICP.

Mind you I am currently running a custom street tune from River City Diesel. I pulled up my backpressure gauge and it read 37 psi AT IDLE!!! as soon as I step down on the throttle the boost jumps up to 32, back pressure to 70, icp at 4.5 to 4.7 volts, and the truck is not cackling, almost like the turbo is sticking. I cleaned and inspected the turbo not to long ago so hopefully it isn't that.

Do you guys think that I could have a faulty EBP sensor? The Tune may be a bit off? The turbo is stuck? IDK but it aggravates me. I am loading up the stock tune and am going to go for a drive to see how it compares. I have had this tune for a while and it hasn't done this before to my knowledge.

THANKS IN ADVANCE FOR THE HELP!!!

sootie

Reaction score
change the ebp sensor and tube. split the turbo and inspect/clean

Dzchey21

Reaction score
isnt the EBP sensor just in there for good looks anyway? I thought 6.0s just took inferred values for the back pressure rather than actual?

I would say that the turbo is probably stuck tho.

03cody

Reaction score
I was driving it around in the stock tune today and the excessivly high ebp is gone. It is reading normal values that are between a 2:1 and 1:1 ratio. I think either something is screwy with the tune or maybe the turbo is sticking just a little and not moving fast enough when tuned.

Either way I am tearing it down in a few days anyway for studs, injectors, hopefully a turbo (if the budget allows), and the regular items like oil cooler, coolant filter, etc.

I will probably go ahead and replace the ebp sensor and tube while I have everything apart.

Thanks guys

Latest posts

Members online