Sooooo, What's Supposed to Be Here?

imelmo

Reaction score
So I've been having a rattle from the front passenger side of my truck. We finally got around to looking at it, and in addition to the u-joints being worn, there appears to be some parts missing. :doh: That's a 2005 front 4x4 suspension by the way.

From looking at the other side I'm guessing there's supposed to be a bearing and seal here:

null_zps3093086f.jpg

null_zps225e5562.jpg

This is the other side:

null_zps001ef104.jpg

What all parts am I gonna need to fix this? And is there a diagram or something anywhere that shows how it assembles? Any special tools or anything needed?

Thanx for any help. I'm hoping to hit the track Saturday for the first time since I don't even know when. :doh:

kyle43335

In the Brig (Banned)
Reaction score
those are dust seals where the axles enter the tube. they wear and break over time.

ford has a updated seal, with a metal race that pounds into the tube.

that is not the cause of your noise however.

java

Reaction score
WHS ^^^ The new updated seal seems to be holding up better than the old style on my truck..

POWER-STRUCK

Reaction score
updated seal part# ac3z-1s175-a (motorcraft brs-170)
and hub seal 5c3z-3254-a

Last edited:

imelmo

Reaction score
Awesome, thanx. So no bearing there? I'm sure the noise is the u-joints.

kyle43335

In the Brig (Banned)
Reaction score
Awesome, thanx. So no bearing there? I'm sure the noise is the u-joints.

most likely. check the joint at the track bar. they like to wear out causing death wobble/ and or noise.

also swaybar end links and bar bushing also like to cause annoying rattles.

skylinedan

Reaction score
The sway bar mounts get worn and cause all kinds of racket, I ended up replacing all of my stuff with Energy Suspension parts, rebushed all the ends and new mounts for the bars, made a hell of a difference.

Dan

skylinedan

Reaction score
Just read that, don't feel bad I did that to both of mine with a ball joint press that doubles as a U joint press. Problem is the axle joints are huge compared to a U joint in a drive shaft so it didn't work real well, but it got the job done. I had to take the stub shafts and beat them to hell to get it back where it belonged on the anvil. Checked to make sure they moved in all directions smoothly, and put them back in. what you described sound just like what mine was doing with the tied up bearing cap I had on just one of 4 caps on the right side. Hard to believe it can make a truck drive like that, but it will.

Dan

Latest posts

Members online