Sounded like rod knock and then went away

Stroked777

Reaction score
A few weeks ago my truck developed what sounded like rod knock with an underlying belt chirp sound. I figured **** it I don't have the money to rebuild right now so I kept driving it despite the fact it was making a terrible sound. Fast forward a few days 4-5 days, and the sound disappeared completely and now the truck sounds normal if not quieter than before. Any ideas where I can start to look? The sound increases and decreased in repetition with the Rpms. I'm a little baffled. Didn't change anything, just added a little more oil one morning but that was the day after the sound started

Stroked777

Reaction score
That's what I was thinking too. I did crawl under there to see if I could pin point the sound but couldn't. I replaced all the tensioners and belts when I did my studs at 75k and in at 113k now. Could they have gone bad already?

Sideswipe505

Reaction score
Yeah those tensioners are kinda hinky... mine have 5k miles on them and already give a small chirp on startup sometimes.

Stroked777

Reaction score
I plan on taking a look at it. I'm pretty sure it's not rod knock, I take very good care of the truck and it's only got 113k

Six_Sloww

Reaction score
Mine does it every time I start it, let me try and dig up a video see if it's the same sound you're hearing.

Six_Sloww

Reaction score
http://youtu.be/crr_q60Bg08

Sound like that?

Mine makes that sound during snappy throttle and every time I start it up, after a minute or so it goes away and I don't notice it any more. I've learned to ignore it and it hasn't gotten any better or worse.

Stroked777

Reaction score
Mine doesn't sound at all like that. Mines got a chirp to it

It started making the noise this morning half way to work and definitely has a more pronounced chirp sound to it this time

Powerstroke Man 6.4

Reaction score
http://youtu.be/crr_q60Bg08

Sound like that?

Mine makes that sound during snappy throttle and every time I start it up, after a minute or so it goes away and I don't notice it any more. I've learned to ignore it and it hasn't gotten any better or worse.

not to derail the thread but is it possible to find out what that sound is? My 2 6.4's make the same exact noise when reved up like that.

Six_Sloww

Reaction score
Mine doesn't sound at all like that. Mines got a chirp to it

It started making the noise this morning half way to work and definitely has a more pronounced chirp sound to it this time

That's good, it's not a confidence inspiring sound

not to derail the thread but is it possible to find out what that sound is? My 2 6.4's make the same exact noise when reved up like that.

I can't figure it out.. There's videos on YouTube that sound like it, some people have taken them in to ford and they were told it was normal, others have told me possibly rocker arms.. but I think it sounds too rhythmic to be rockers, but mine probably do need to be changed, 257k on mine.

Powerstroke Man 6.4

Reaction score
That's good, it's not a confidence inspiring sound

I can't figure it out.. There's videos on YouTube that sound like it, some people have taken them in to ford and they were told it was normal, others have told me possibly rocker arms.. but I think it sounds too rhythmic to be rockers, but mine probably do need to be changed, 257k on mine.

Ah I got 260K on mine. I just cant figure it out either drives me nuts sometimes LOL.

Stroked777

Reaction score
Change your rockers. I got mine from sunrise for under 400 for both sides. Mine where shot when I had my heads off at 75k and I replaced them 20k miles later

Stroked777

Reaction score
Is there anyway to lube the tensioner that's making the noise? It's the main drive one and I don't see any rust coming out of it or any signs of wear on the outside. It does jump up and down about 1/8 to a 1/4 of an inch while the engine is running. And the pully isn't wobbling around. The AC tensioner is smooth and doesn't move, I take that it's that way due to the shorter belt length. Any idea guys?

boggerr

Reaction score
Do you still have the knocking noise or is it just a chirp? I went nuts with a chirping noise on mine and it turned out to be a broken exhaust manifold bolt.

Latest posts

Members online