Speed sensor

Black_Pstroke

Reaction score
The speed sensor keeps going out on my 97. I have replaced the sensor in the rear end several times, it works fine for a little while then screws up again. Every time it has started to go out the speedo would jump around like crazy then eventually just stop working. Is there another sensor in the transmission (it's a ZF-5 if that makes a difference), or is it just something in the rear end? Or should I look into replacing the connector as well as the sensor. Thanks for any input.

Tom S

Reaction score
I think you are onto something that perhaps it is not just the sensor but in the harness. Where are you buying sensors from?

Black_Pstroke

Reaction score
One came from ford, one from napa, and another one from advance auto. I might have to contact Sunrise and see what kind of price they have on sensor/harness.

Tom S

Reaction score
I cannot quite recall the info but do they end up small bits of metal on them? I am also thinking the cruise control gets messed up when the speed sensor is bad. Seems to me a few guys had bad clusters as well.

Black_Pstroke

Reaction score
It's been a while since I have changed one out. I'll have to check on that. The truck doesn't have cruise control. What is the cluster u are talking about?

Latest posts

Members online