splits VS singles in a SD

littleredstroker

Reaction score
I am lookin around at injectors and from what I can tell I would benifit from singles, thinkin at least 200cc which would mean I need the tuning to go with. I guess my question is how often are there problems with tuners? I read alot of post sying "clean your connections" and that kinda stuff and it worries me. My pickup is a daily driver and a work truck, as well as a play toy and am just a little cautious, i dont want to be stranded somewhere because something happened with the tune. to the SD guys running singles how many of you have had issues?

Dieselboy.

Reaction score
Singles all the way, I didnt even know they still sold HiPo splits...

The bad connection is the chip connection at the PCM, if you clean it properly the first time and stick a piece of duct tape over top of it to secure it you should never really have any problems there.

4cstr

Reaction score
I went from splits to stage 1 singles...and am happy with it. I can't go any higher as I still have the stock turbo. My early 99 was a bit loud to begin with...so didn't really notice much change.

The idle sounds much much cooler though.

Gearhead

Reaction score
Do a hybrid with an 80% nozzle.... this injecor is the best all around setup for 99 percent of the people who want to do other upgrades later and want to do everything well just like a stock truck. If you never want to go with more than 375 reliable horsepower, the 160cc A code with a 30% nozzle is a nice bump up.

Here is the diesel power article with the 238/80 hybrid injector showing it can do everything a stock injector can and then some:

http://www.dieselpowermag.com/tech/ford/1108dp_serious_73l_power_stroke_upgrades/index.html

Last edited:

Hotrodtractor

Reaction score
Do a hybrid with an 80% nozzle.... this injecor is the best all around setup for 99 percent of the people who want to do other upgrades later and want to do everything well just like a stock truck. If you never want to go with more than 375 reliable horsepower, the 160cc A code with a 30% nozzle is a nice bump up.

Here is the diesel power article with the 238/80 hybrid injector showing it can do everything a stock injector can and then some:

http://www.dieselpowermag.com/tech/ford/1108dp_serious_73l_power_stroke_upgrades/index.html

I forgot that they were going to use my injector graphs for that article.....

stroker2

Reaction score
I have never had any problems. Get really good mileage with my 200/30% hybrids. Didn't notice much of an engine sound change and no exhaust change. My exhaust was loud to begin with. Way louder than the previous superduty i had and louder than any other straight piped 7.3 i have heard by a noticeable amount. Not sure why. It is dam loud under load at 2300-2400 rpm....to where it will drone in the cab pretty good but only at that specific rpm. Go with the singles, follow directions on chip install and you will be set :thumbsup:

Last edited:

average

Reaction score
Didn't really notice much of a noise difference from stock to the hybrids, it could be a little louder or "cacklier" but I'm not too sure.

David N

Reaction score
My 2002 definately got louder going from the stock splits to the hybrid 250's I have now. But I really could care less.

Arisley

Reaction score
I like my hybrids. They will run with stock tuning. They just idle a little (OK a lot rough). They will still run fine once you get off idle. I ran my hybrids on stock tuning for a couple weeks. Never have had a problem with the connectors. Clean them really well, but not through the silver. You will be fine.

dmd

Reaction score
I was going to go to the 238/80 like Matt says. Problem is Matt's tunes fixed the noisy injector I had. Now there is no immediate need. Maybe if $1600 falls in my hands, but looks like it will be stickers for awhile longer.

maxtrax

Reaction score
My stroked singles are wayyy quieter than splits. With proper tuning of course.;)

Who did you go with for tuning. I'm trying to decide where to get my new injectors from. DP (full force) offers 165cc/146 single shot for about $1100. However I was also looking at Swamps and they have a 175cc/146 single shot for $1600. Which place is going to be a better place to get them from?

Big Bore

Reaction score
Who did you go with for tuning. I'm trying to decide where to get my new injectors from. DP (full force) offers 165cc/146 single shot for about $1100. However I was also looking at Swamps and they have a 175cc/146 single shot for $1600. Which place is going to be a better place to get them from?

Curtis (Pocket) is my tuner, not sure if he's tuning large scale or not, I'm his very happy guinea pig. I personally would drive a truck stock tuned before I would use DP again. Better is such a subjective term, but the Swamps 175/173's (30% nozzle) are what I'm currently running and think are a better choice. This is my second set of Swamps injectors and Ive never been anything but a happy customer.

maxtrax

Reaction score
Is anyone running swamps tunes too? They offer free retune with their injectors. Just wondering how their tunes are.

Is there any concern about going to single shots and then having trouble with the tunner or getting retunes? One concern I have had is not being able to drive my truck if I ever had to send my chip in.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Members online