splits VS singles in a SD

TyCorr

Reaction score
Is anyone running swamps tunes too? They offer free retune with their injectors. Just wondering how their tunes are.

Im sure there are tons of people running swamps tunes. Joe(csipsd) is the only one I can think of off the top of my head.

I know that different people charge different amounts for what appears to be the same product. Id call everybody you are considering and talk to them. You may find you are more comfortable paying more. When your money is on the line your decision making process becomes more critical. A warranty is huge on something like inj's.

Fl Stroker

Reaction score
Is anyone running swamps tunes too? They offer free retune with their injectors. Just wondering how their tunes are.

Is there any concern about going to single shots and then having trouble with the tunner or getting retunes? One concern I have had is not being able to drive my truck if I ever had to send my chip in.

Your truck will run without the chip if you did have an issue not the best but will run till you get the chip fixed. Swamps is a stand up company that will take care of you if you did have an issue. Not to say that others wont. I assure you that you wont be disapointed. I run there tunning as well and have no complates.

stroker2

Reaction score

Is there any concern about going to single shots and then having trouble with the tunner or getting retunes? One concern I have had is not being able to drive my truck if I ever had to send my chip in.

I have swamps tunes. They run cool, get good mileage, and smooth power

Big Bore

Reaction score

Singles will run on split tuning, not well, but well enough to drive.

powerSmokin

Reaction score
Mattrax, call up Mike Farmer at Farmers Diesel Performance. He does exellent work and is an injector genius. You will no doubt be on the phone with him for a half hour just discussing your options, pretty cool guy. Tuning wise he has mostly worked with DP and is also working with Cale at Tyrant diesel so the customer can get the best performance out of the injectors.

maxtrax

Reaction score
OK. My biggest concern was damage to the engine by running the singles without a tuner. From looking at Unlimited Diesel's website I am definitely not going with their injectors as the nozzles are EDM nozzles. I talked with Jim from Rosewood and some other people and that is old technology and is likely to cause cracked injector tips. If they are still using that on their bigger injectors where else are they cutting corners?

Charles

Reaction score
OK. My biggest concern was damage to the engine by running the singles without a tuner. From looking at Unlimited Diesel's website I am definitely not going with their injectors as the nozzles are EDM nozzles. I talked with Jim from Rosewood and some other people and that is old technology and is likely to cause cracked injector tips. If they are still using that on their bigger injectors where else are they cutting corners?

Back in 49 EDM processes being used for our nozzles were nasty, mismatched (due to the poor orifice quality) and structurally unreliable. However, for a number of years now the EDM nozzles everyone has been running have proven very reliable, and provide the crispest injection quality, bar-none.

200 EDM FTMFW

Btw, as of that Diesel Power article I just read I am now willing to read that magazine again if I see one. Good stuff.

Gearhead

Reaction score

Every injector nozzles starts with EDM process..... even stock.

DZL JIM

Reaction score
OK. My biggest concern was damage to the engine by running the singles without a tuner. From looking at Unlimited Diesel's website I am definitely not going with their injectors as the nozzles are EDM nozzles....

Nate/Unlimited uses the same nozzles as the rest of us.
;)

maxtrax

Reaction score
Every injector nozzles starts with EDM process..... even stock.

I am not sure of the exact material they are made from but I would guess its likely that after the tips are EDM'ed in production they undergo some form of heat treatment to increase strength and prevent cracking. If someone were to EDM an old tip to modify it and did not perform the proper post operation treatements, I can see it likely cracking. As long as the tips are new I wouldn't have a problem using them

What about tips that are extrusion honed? I thought that was another process that was used or am I confused on that?

TyCorr

Reaction score
Extrude honing is another process usually used to deburr a surface or even polish it. People using these processes often call it abrasive flow machining...

Im not so sure that this process would be as desirable for an injector as its more applicable as way to clean up some rough casting marks, sharp corners, and remove crap left from manufacturing.

Thats all I personally know about the process so I could be way off on its application to inj nozzles.

www.gethoned.com/
Looks like I was wrong about that. I thought it was used as a process to open up things like heads, intakes and exhaust/O2 housings. Perhaphs its a more performance oriented way to make nozzles 'slick'.

Last edited:

maxtrax

Reaction score
That sounds reasonable to me. I don't know for sure and had never heard of it before until recently. It just seemed less likely to cause cracks than EDM.

Gearhead

Reaction score
That sounds reasonable to me. I don't know for sure and had never heard of it before until recently. It just seemed less likely to cause cracks than EDM.

EDM makes the hole in the blank nozzle whether it is .006, .0075 or .0115 inches. From these machining processes we get stock, 80,100, and 200% over stock nozzles. extrude hone should never be used to increase nozzle flow above about 30% or so over the orig edm hole size because the nozzles don't work properly if you do. Drippy, smokey pigs will result.

Back before we had a good selection of nozzles to choose from, the mini me was the injector of choice for a street truck because it was a hybrid with about 30-40% over stock flow that started with a stock nozzle. People who tried to get more flow out of the nozzle had issues with smoke and crappy idle and didn't make a whole lot more power to warrant the negatives of going bigger.

Charles

Reaction score
Mainly we have the benefit of moving past the hypotheticals as of about 5 years ago.

Having done it, we now know that the EDM makes the most power, cc per cc flowed, because of the injection quality that a rougher hole gives through turbulence and greater atomization. This also translates into a crisper running truck at reduced power levels seen while tooling around town.

EDM beats EH when it comes to available nozzles for these injectors.

CurtisF

Reaction score
Curtis (Pocket) is my tuner, not sure if he's tuning large scale or not, I'm his very happy guinea pig.

GUMC-0905.jpg

:pimp:

Latest posts

Members online