Spun Bearing?

greyford1979

Reaction score
That would lead me to think a injector still and it's changing with PW in the tune. JMO.

Yeah that's what I was thinking as well when I noticed it changed with the different tuners.

I 2nd that... My hot tune would aggravate the issue.
Still did it in stock tune but after a few minutes of driving in hot tune the noise was loud and very defined. Its funny because after hearing the video I remembered exactly why I changed the injectors haha, my wife even listened to the video and thought it was a recording of my truck haha... And as said mine started up a few weeks after my low fuel pressure issue.

Yeah same, my hot tunes make it the worst.

greyford1979

Reaction score
Well, things have gotten worse. Truck went from the blue haze that clears up right away to smoking like crazy at idle, and went from a full degas bottle this morning to almost empty very quickly. I think something is brokted. Time to Buy a Honda Civic.:doh: Funny thing is, it fires right up and idles nice and smoothly. Been around 2 years now I think since I had a head gasket issue and had the heads redone and studded.

Last edited:

greyford1979

Reaction score
Decided to tear the truck apart to get ready and pull the engine. Pulled the water pump off and found this guy behind the passenger side coolant opening in the front cover. I'm pretty sure it's not supposed to be floating around in the engine lol. Found out the coolant has oil in it.
46417304535_ab3a6825a3_c.jpg
IMG_20190309_172830134 by greyford79, on Flickr

mike_hurd2000

Reaction score
Decided to tear the truck apart to get ready and pull the engine. Pulled the water pump off and found this guy behind the passenger side coolant opening in the front cover. I'm pretty sure it's not supposed to be floating around in the engine lol. Found out the coolant has oil in it.

46417304535_ab3a6825a3_c.jpg
IMG_20190309_172830134 by greyford79, on Flickr

Can’t tell from picture but what is it ? Is it metal it looks like it is fiber of some sorts If you are not finding a lot of metal in the oil I don’t think you spun a bearing. If you have oil in the coolant it could be oil cooler o-rings going bad.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

greyford1979

Reaction score
Not sure what it is, all I know is that I pulled it out of the engine. No oil in the coolant. I have major coolant in the oil. Won't know exactly till I tear it down. Engine has low compression anyways. Both valve covers were covered in the oil/coolant sludge.

Zeb

Reaction score
Coolant in the oil often is from one of the freeze plugs on top of the heads (under the valve cover) leaking.
That is also one of the only places that coolant pressure is higher than oil pressure. Actually there is no oil pressure there (oil is only draining back to the crankcase) and that is how the coolant can get into the oil.

co04cobra

Reaction score
Not sure what it is, all I know is that I pulled it out of the engine. No oil in the coolant. I have major coolant in the oil. Won't know exactly till I tear it down. Engine has low compression anyways. Both valve covers were covered in the oil/coolant sludge.

The green slime sludge under the valve covers in my experience has been a cracked cylinder wall.

greyford1979

Reaction score
The green slime sludge under the valve covers in my experience has been a cracked cylinder wall.

That's the first thing I thought of when it happened. Also I think I figured out my mystery piece I found. I replaced my water pump back in the fall, and thought that it was still the original pump. When I put the new one on, I had to remove a ring that was around the fins to keep them from being damaged in the box. This piece looks just like half of the ring. Now I'm wondering if someone before I owned the truck had replaced the water pump with the same one and didn't remove it. Just crazy it's been in there this whole time.

greyford1979

Reaction score
I've already pulled the injectors, haven't inspected the cups. No hydrolocking. And this happened quick, went from no white smoke to white smoke pouring out when it happened. I'll completely tear it down after I get the new engine in just to see what's up.

greyford1979

Reaction score
Injectors on the way from Rosewood tomorrow. Have an engine on the way as well from co04cobra. Big thanks to both of them so that I can get the truck back up and running. Took the bellowed up pipes off my engine for when the new one gets here, oil poured out of the exhaust manifolds. Don't think that's good lol.

greyford1979

Reaction score
I’d stick with OE.

That's what I was leaning towards, just figured I'd get a second opinion lol.

I tore the heads off today. One good thing is that I did a good job getting everything sealed back up when I the heads 2 years ago, head gaskets looked great and definitely not blown. Also no coolant in the cylinders. Couldn't see any cracks in the cylinder walls either. When I removed the oil filter and oil cooler, the oil looked normal, not like the coolant/oil sludge in the heads, under the valve covers, intercooler piping, and ccv doghouse. Also when I took the manifolds off, oil just poured out of them. Haven't looked at the bottom end yet. The sludge definitely looks like it blew out of the block into heads onto the underside of the valve covers. Also doesn't look like any freeze plugs leaking.

Last edited:

co04cobra

Reaction score
I would stick with OE balancer also. The 1 or 2 I had with cracked cylinder walls were really not visible with the heads off.

greyford1979

Reaction score
I would stick with OE balancer also. The 1 or 2 I had with cracked cylinder walls were really not visible with the heads off.

Gotcha. Yeah with the way it happened, that was the first thing I thought of was a cracked cylinder wall. If that is the issue, at least I can salvage the heads and keep em around or find them a good home for someone else. Probably only have around 20,000 miles on them since being rebuilt.

Latest posts

Members online