squeak or squeal can you ID this?

steve604

Reaction score
2012 6.7 with about 200,000km, fully deleted with H&S for about 100,000km.

the sound became noticeable a few months ago, has slowly become louder. it's always under 2000 rpm, closer to 1500 rpm. the truck runs great, hasn't lost any power. there is plenty of boost, very little smoke on take off.

new belt, new tensioner pully right after that. i think that the only thing this truck has that's slightly out of place is what looks to be a positive air sutdown before the intercooler but it's not wired (it looks factory installed to me)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aaYFrIVZdoc&index=2&list=UU4hrvVvfZ8QbcG-8YReB5cg

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HADmPDzi-9U&list=UU4hrvVvfZ8QbcG-8YReB5cg&index=1

when driving, it lets out a loud squeak when taking off from a stop between 1000-1500rpm and then it's gone until the next shift. it seems to be louder under heavier load.

we pulled the intake plenum off a few weeks ago to see if we could find anything and the turbo wheel looks good, very small amount of shaft play. the sound seemed to get quieter for a few hours of driving after pulling the plenum off and re-installing but came back just as loud.

Last edited:

steve604

Reaction score
bump.... is it possible for the VGT to make a sound like this? It sounds like metal sliding on metal.

steve604

Reaction score
Because research showed that people had squeel noises after egr delete due to a leak there so we wanted to rule that out even though this is a low RPM noise.

DWhite

Reaction score
I bet that is where the noise is coming from. A lot of people clean the gasket and reinstall and it fixes the problem. I'd start there.

steve604

Reaction score
The noise is at low RPM's only.

Everyone has been saying over and over that it's that plate so we too k the plate off, checked the gasket and reinstalled it. No change and it doesn't sound like it's coming from that area. Everyone still insisted that it's that plate.

Pulled that plate off 2 days ago, no signs of an exhaust leak there, sealed it up with lots of high temp RTV, and reinstalled. we let it cure and the sound hasn't changed at allI just looked at it again and the gutter won't even open up. *He better not have paid them for that. *This is worse. That plate is definitely sealed.

steve604

Reaction score
For anyone that is having a hard time picking out the noise in the videos, it kinda sounds like an intermittent dry window wiper. It is much louder than the engine noise.

steve604

Reaction score
it looks like it must be an exhaust leak from the manifold according to what everyone else is telling me which doesn't make sense to me. it's a loud squeak more like a rusty hinge for less than a second at about 1500rpm

Latest posts

Members online