Squealing/ringing/metalic noise

FlatbedCowboy

Reaction score
This has been going on for months and I just cant get it figured out.

It sounds like coming from the drivers side (maybe) a metallic squealing that is super inconsistent and intermittent. It mainly happens when I have my gooseneck on, almost never when unloaded. It really sounds like the little metal tabs that tells you your brakes are bad, or when your brakes squeak to a stop.

When I accelerate hard or medium (up to 2500 RPM) I can hear this squealing, if I let off the pedal it stops for a bit, and might come back when Im cruising. It will eventually stop though depending on how im playing with the pedal or shifting or the speed Im going. Happens with AC on or off, 4x4 hubs locked or unlocked.

But no exhaust leaks (least on the firewall) I think, I replaced both wheel bearings, brakes seem alright, when I rinsed out the wheels it didn't change the sound much.

Maybe my turbo wheel is getting loose and touching the housing? The wheel has a little wear on the edges of the fins but I think that's from when the PO didn't change the air filter before I got it (so full of dirt that it has piles of dust on top of it)

So I just need a some ideas of what to check and how to check them

Thanks

fastersteve

Reaction score
Mine does something similar, I'm pretty sure it's the fan clutch, on mine anyway.

Easy enough to pull it and go for a short drive to check.

FlatbedCowboy

Reaction score
Your telling me!

Its so freaking weird, and its not like that trailer is that heavy I mean even with the trailer empty it will occasionally make the noise.

It really is dependent on how I play with the pedal, like on acceleration it will be a steady high squeal, then itll shift and the noise will go away for a bit then come back and ill let off the pedal and itll stop. But if Im just moderately cruising it usually doesn't make a peep, then go to climb a hill there it is again.

ridiculous huh?

lincolnlocker

Reaction score
Your telling me!

Its so freaking weird, and its not like that trailer is that heavy I mean even with the trailer empty it will occasionally make the noise.

It really is dependent on how I play with the pedal, like on acceleration it will be a steady high squeal, then itll shift and the noise will go away for a bit then come back and ill let off the pedal and itll stop. But if Im just moderately cruising it usually doesn't make a peep, then go to climb a hill there it is again.

ridiculous huh?
look at the exhaust v band clamps on turbo. they have been known to come loose, rotate backwards, and the tip will rub on the firewall and make all sorts of funky sounds..

live life full throttle

FlatbedCowboy

Reaction score
look at the exhaust v band clamps on turbo. they have been known to come loose, rotate backwards, and the tip will rub on the firewall and make all sorts of funky sounds..

live life full throttle

I checked these on lunch, everything seems alright there.

Still need to check the rear diff fluid.

On the subject of things wrong with my truck...... the Y-pipe or collector whatever its called seems to have a slight oil covering that's been covered with dirt. The boots that connect the pipes are also pretty dirty, whats causing that? I thought the CCV made the lower boots leak with oil not the upper???

FlatbedCowboy

Reaction score
Yea just something I hadn't paid attention to I guess.

So I checked the rear diff fluid, it is full. The noise is definitely coming from the front of the truck.

Tonight Im hoping to crawl under the front with a light and mirror and recheck everything again. I am also thinking about taking my air filter and tube off and going down the road a bit to see if it gets louder or not, just to see.

mrit

Reaction score
Try cleaning all the pulleys on the engine with simple green, a wire brush, and some clean rags. Maybe replacing the serpentine belt and idler pulleys if they are dirty or old. I know my truck was making some really odd noises when they were getting dirty. I only heard it on hard acceleration.

Arisley

Reaction score
Try cleaning all the pulleys on the engine with simple green, a wire brush, and some clean rags. Maybe replacing the serpentine belt and idler pulleys if they are dirty or old. I know my truck was making some really odd noises when they were getting dirty. I only heard it on hard acceleration.

Really quick way to eliminate that possibility. Pull the belt off, start the truck. It will be OK to drive for a couple hundred feet. Be careful though, no waterpump.

Latest posts

Members online