SRL Shifting Issues, Tuning or Trans?

ihv800

Reaction score
Hey guys, browse here regularly but first post. I've had my 6.0 for about a year now (been around it since new though, was bought new by my employer). Done a few mods, fixed what needed fixing, but I am now experiencing some shifting issues that have me stumped. I had posted on another forum but got limited response, none that helped. Hoping you guys can give me some ideas!

Here's the scoop, my pickup with stock tuning has the infamous 3-5 "shift flare." It's a rare thing and happens at light throttle. It doesn't seem to be a clutch slipping but more just a laggy shift.

Tuned, I run SRL for my daily, 3-5 shift pressure upped 10%. I've been very happy with how this tune acts, performance and shifting. Should be noted I drive pretty conservative and will very rarely faintly get the laggy shift from 3 to 5, but isn't as prevalent as stock tuning.

Now on to the part that has me worried. I'm not a racer and have no desire for my diesel to turn over 4k, this tune was factory set at 4150 I believe, I lowered it to 3950. Despite my conservative driving on occasion I open it up to keep the turbo swept and any cobwebs blown out.:swordfight: About 3/4 throttle it will lag the 3-5 shift bad enough to hit the limiter then bang into gear, if you let it run through the all the gears near or at WOT it wants to do it at every shift.

Is it a tuning problem, maybe related to lowering the limiter screwing with the shift points? Am I experiencing hardware problems in the trans like a sticking direct and possibly EPC solenoids? I just want a more concrete idea before I throw money in my trans or start bugging Matt about tweaking the tune.

yeehaw

Reaction score
my last '06 did this, but on any tune, including stock. My dually only did it stock, it doesn't do it on the SRL tune. I am curious to find out more detail if someone has a fix. I just always thought it was a Ford thing.

Gearhead

Reaction score
Well when you set the rev limiter below where it is set to shift (4000 rpms) you will get things like this. Either put the rev limiter up to 4500 or dont change it from the factory setting.

ihv800

Reaction score
Didn't expect an answer from the man himself, I appreciate the input, Matt! I will reload to tune to its factory settings and see how it acts. What can I say, the pickup I used before this is a '73 International with a 345 gasser, it's all done at about 3,600... 4,000 in a diesel is terrifying!LOL

Pizza pig

In the Brig (Banned)
Reaction score
when matt sends you a file, dont touch it, just load it and go. I couldnt be happier with my latest file.

05charcoal6.0

Reaction score
Just like pizza pig said, I loaded it up and never looked back. I couldn't believe how it completely changed the truck from other tunes I've had!

fordfreak4life

Reaction score
If it is shifting at 4200 i may need tp tweak it. Does it feel like the power is falling off before it shifts?

Pulls hard.... I need my tunes redone for my injectors though.... Mainly just the srl+ tune...

Sent from my Milestone X2 using Tapatalk 2

Zmann

Reaction score
I always mess with my tunes to dial them in
but the rev limit I usually increase if anything ,, never had a shifting issue after the relearn other than the anomaly shift 5r can do.

Want to hear something funny?
I have emissions and they make you hit WOT 3 times in a row and hold it for a few seconds,, ARGH

so I thought i could go easy on my motor and I loaded an old IDP eco tune and dropped the rev as far down as it could go ,,

Well when I hit the rev the rpm's fluctuated and didn't hold steady like the OEM rev limiter ,, they knew something was up I had to do the test 3 times at 3 wot runs
finally they just passed Me because it was obviously not blowing smoke

this year I went in back to stock and passed right away

ihv800

Reaction score
Reloaded the tune and left everything set at default except a 10% increase in the 3-5 shift pressure. Works much better now, pulls hard and shifts right at 4k with no lag. Loving srl even more now!

Latest posts

Members online