Stacks on an OBS

PsRumors

Reaction score
I use to never like stack, ever, never but there is a truck running around town similar to mine with what appears to be about a 5 or 6 inch slash cut just shy of cab height. It looks great. I have also seen some pictures of them in the OBS thread and they look good.

So, anyone that has cut their bed for stacks, have you later regretted it?

What are the negatives to stacks (yes, inlcuding looking like %^*$)?

Are there any possitives to stacks?

Mad Max

Reaction score
in, out and all around the matrix you live in
positives to stacks- you get a truck that looks like this, and sounds GREAT-

newtaillightsforthedually003.jpg

aj411.jpg

i've never regretted cutting into my bed for the hole, its only 5 inches in diameter, nothing that cant be covered up later. negatives for stacks are they can be a pain to keep looking clean, you will get soot all over the bed, you might get hassled by the local 5-0 for having them, and your fellow diesel owners might heckle you for running them on your rig.

1995stroker

Reaction score
I ran around with dual 5" on mine for years. Now a regret it as i switched to a regular side exit.

Negatives i ran into are getting covered in soot almost every time you start your truck esp. after rain & snow. Irritating if wearing a white shirt.

Truck gets covered in soot, If mixed with water it leaves this streak look which was noticeable even on my black paint. Covers the tailgate so if you want to drop the gate and sit it'll get you some soot spots...

I did not have a stack guard so i burnt a hole in a cooler on a road trip. (My fault)

My setup bolted to the front of the bed and overtime it separated the bed front from the bedsides breaking the spot welds.

Very loud all the time. After the noise got annoying and the bed front being broken that was the breaking point for taking them off.

Positives are when you hammered down it sounded great. Sometimes they look awesome and other times i thought they looked goofy. All my buddies loved 'em

Jared

PsRumors

Reaction score
I ran around with dual 5" on mine for years. Now a regret it as i switched to a regular side exit.

Negatives i ran into are getting covered in soot almost every time you start your truck esp. after rain & snow. Irritating if wearing a white shirt.

Truck gets covered in soot, If mixed with water it leaves this streak look which was noticeable even on my black paint. Covers the tailgate so if you want to drop the gate and sit it'll get you some soot spots...

I did not have a stack guard so i burnt a hole in a cooler on a road trip. (My fault)

My setup bolted to the front of the bed and overtime it separated the bed front from the bedsides breaking the spot welds.

Very loud all the time. After the noise got annoying and the bed front being broken that was the breaking point for taking them off.

Positives are when you hammered down it sounded great. Sometimes they look awesome and other times i thought they looked goofy. All my buddies loved 'em

Jared

There is enough cons in there for me not to do the stacks

Lamont_24

Reaction score
They get annoying. But they do sound great when you hammer on it. They also give your truck a unique look. Like my truck is a pos but people always look
Mine is on the right obviously. And It was on there when I bought it
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1340242534.962934.jpg

Magnum PD

Reaction score
I put 4" on the "outside" of my bed. Was told some it looks like ****. I didn't want to cut a hole in my bed. I like it, looks different.

powerSmokin

Reaction score
I ran a stack for a year or so then got annoyed with the drone. Someone threw my hole piece away so I couldn't weld it back on. I have a tool box on it right now so you don't notice the hole.

Benefit would be the smoke goes up higher and away from the vehicle in back I you at lower speeds rather than a typical exhaust.

Tom S

Reaction score
The noise kinda gets me with the trucks I have been in.

samoht517

Reaction score
Personally I like mine some days and hate it more than not.

I kinda regret it but at the time it was what I had.

misspelled from a fancy phone

97f350stroker

Reaction score
I love the looks and sound of mine, but I get pretty aggrivated when I go to drop the tailgate to hang around the fire with friends and cnt sit anywhere without wiping the bed down. I don't think the noise is to bad but I have a crewcab.

Lamont_24

Reaction score
I never had soot on my tailgate. But mine is a miter cut so it all goes straight up and usually lands on top of my cab, so no one can see it haha

Jacob 76

Reaction score
Personally I like mine some days and hate it more than not.

I kinda regret it but at the time it was what I had.

Yours has that custom resonator deal you made tho, I like the way your truck sounds/looks. Ive never had real issues with sound but I also have a crew cab.

samoht517

Reaction score
Yours has that custom resonator deal you made tho, I like the way your truck sounds/looks. Ive never had real issues with sound but I also have a crew cab.

Yea I made that custom 3 chamber glass pack inside the stack. It still has some drone but not nearly as bad. Mainly I hate having to clean the truck from the soot and everything that goes in the bed will probably get covered.

Strokersace

Reaction score
Another con is that so many people have them in various forms that they're not unique anymore. Last week I took myself out to celebrate my new job and move. Met some good lookin women and started chatting. Conversation turned to vehicles and they asked what I drove. I told them it was a 1 ton Ford Diesel.

Their immediate reply, "And I bet you have stacks on it too?!?"

When I told them no they said, "Thank God! Everyone around here has those stupid things."

Told me right there that they're not all that unique like people that have them think. Don't get me wrong, I do think some (NOT ALL) rigs look good with the proper stacks. It's just not my thing.

DieselFreak92

Reaction score
I love stacks. The louder the better. If you are really worried about soot everywhere just put some buckets over them when you go inside or drill a small hole at the 90 under the truck then it all leaks out problem solved. But these guys are right you have to love the sound of your truck to like stacks because it will ALWAYS be loud.

Wes Lewis

Reaction score
Another con is that so many people have them in various forms that they're not unique anymore. Last week I took myself out to celebrate my new job and move. Met some good lookin women and started chatting. Conversation turned to vehicles and they asked what I drove. I told them it was a 1 ton Ford Diesel.

Their immediate reply, "And I bet you have stacks on it too?!?"

When I told them no they said, "Thank God! Everyone around here has those stupid things."

Told me right there that they're not all that unique like people that have them think. Don't get me wrong, I do think some (NOT ALL) rigs look good with the proper stacks. It's just not my thing.

How do you get a guy to like your truck? Put a Stack in it

How do you get a girl to hate it? Put a stack in it

Personally im not a fan, used to like them but they're over done IMO. And I haven't seen that many where the hole was cut nicely. To each his own though, some do really look good

molonlabe27

Reaction score
I bought my truck with a 5" stacks kit already on it from a private seller, asshole didn't know what he was doing when he put them in so I have to fix an exhaust leak and I had to do a little cutting and banging to get them at an even height but I love them. Only downside I see in them is that I can't keep the rear window open long without having the idle chug a lug humming through my head for days. Just trying to figure out how to get a toolbox in the bed now without losing anymore bed space. My current Idea is cutting 5" holes in the cheap tractor supply box I have.

molonlabe27

Reaction score
I was going cut the lid and make it so that I only have the storage space in between the stacks. I measured it out and I shouldn't have to relocate the lock and the latches, just the little pistons that keep it open. I'd have to set up the new lid with some weather stripping so that it wouldn't leak, and completely cut out the bottoms where the stacks are so the heat can escape. then put some heat resistant material on the inside of the storage area.

under construction

Reaction score
Copy of truck 1.jpg

truck 2.jpg

This is my old set-up. I took them out because I got tired of soot being all over my truck and coming in the windows when they were down. I did however love the look and sound of them.

PS Hope this works. This is my first time posting a picture. lol

Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.