Stage 1 Cam?

ingrahams

Reaction score
Been searching the forums and haven't really found any real info on the benefits of putting a cam in one of our trucks. I did read that it flatens out the torque curve but I am curious if it does anything for spool up, EGT reduction, etc. I am doing a build in january consisting of a single 66 with steed speed manifolds, ported intake, and 30% nozzles. Just curious if it is worth doing while the engine is torn down getting the heads gone through. Thanks
-Stew

madman1234509

Reaction score
If youre tearing the engine down and have the cab off, and the heads.... Its really not that much more work to pull the tranny off and flex plate what what not and pull the cam out of the back of the engine.... Noone has really done a great back to back comparison....

Mike@MPD

Reaction score
Get in touch with hard at rcd he'll get you the cam you want

Sent by my Nexus powered by this (╯°□°)╯

bigrpowr

<How I Fly
Administrator
Reaction score
Elite stage 1 best driving truck I have ever had.

Erikclaw

Reaction score
Wanted to make sure we knew he sent a pm. :morons:

I did a lot at the same time when my cam went in, I can tell you that my tq curve is about as flat as a table.

madman1234509

Reaction score
I did dyno my truck after the cam, although I did a few other basic mods at the same time as the same, and my transmission was slipping, and my frp was dropping off to 22.5-23k, my hp curve was pretty darn flat. I carried around my peak HP for a lot of the graph

dyno1-1.jpg

dyno2-1.jpg

Wayne

Reaction score
I just did a complete tear-down on my engine with the Elite stage 1 cam swap being the ONLY performance mod to get clear before and after performance data. I have yet to datalog the after results, but I can definitely feel it just cruising around. It's more responsive on every tune, especially down low, and still pulls hard where it used to fall off in the higher rpm range. fwiw the test is on stock turbos. I'll post all the data when I get it organized. I doubt there's any huge peak power gain, but the drivability improvements made it well worth while. Being able to do studs, valve springs, push rods, and all new engine seals/gaskets was also on the menu for preventative purposes, so it was well worth it for me.

Johnny77Mutt

Reaction score
Madman, our dyno sheets are pretty similar with the hp curve. Although my hp curve peaked and flattend out at 2700 rpms while yours was at 2500 rpms. Same dyno, same day, so your truck definitely peaks quicker, and thats when I had my low pressure batmo too. The only reason I ran higher numbers than you that day was because of your tranny though, I cant wait until your final build is done.

Powerstroked162

On Da Juice
Reaction score
Leaning towards the elite stage 1 at the moment, I already have pushrods and valvetrain. Thanks for the input guys.
-Stew

I honestly don't think you will be disappointed with it. Call J.D. at Elite and tell him you want the roast beef on rye special LOL

HD F250

Reaction score
Leaning towards the elite stage 1 at the moment, I already have pushrods and valvetrain. Thanks for the input guys.
-Stew

Based on recommendations from the guys here, I am definitely doing a Elite stage 1 in my build. Wayne brings up a good point about new seals and gaskets, so thats a bonus. :thumbup:

madman1234509

Reaction score
Plus Jared at RCD gave me an awesome deal on the cam/valve springs

Madman, our dyno sheets are pretty similar with the hp curve. Although my hp curve peaked and flattend out at 2700 rpms while yours was at 2500 rpms. Same dyno, same day, so your truck definitely peaks quicker, and thats when I had my low pressure batmo too. The only reason I ran higher numbers than you that day was because of your tranny though, I cant wait until your final build is done.

Thanks man, i forgot you had the lp batmowheel and uppipes then right? You def have a good running truck for sure. My tranny should be getting done within the next few weeks, I have all the parts, just waiting on scheduling. Thinking about throwing a lpfs on and getting on the dyno one more time before the end of the year.

Latest posts

Members online