Stainless Steel Unison ring turbo... ?

Zbugsii

Reaction score
I have a 2004 F350 with 100k miles, new to me about a year ago. Previous owner let it sit for long periods, frequently. While having ARP studs installed, the turbo was gone over and found to have a very pitted unison ring from rust and sticking problems. After bead blasting... things are better, but because it is pitted I do not expect good things going forward. Also, as much as I try to keep the truck used.... lately I am traveling more than expected and my truck can sit for 2-4 weeks at a time before I can give it a good run.

I think I can already feel some sticking in the turbo.... so, I believe I heard there are some turbos out there with SS unison rings, which I would think should be a good solution to my possible ongoing problem.

Does anybody have any good knowledge on such turbos? How are the SS unison rings holding up to the heat? Recommendations on a turbo for "stock" motor? Used for 15k towing and general street use.

Any info and practical knowledge welcome... Thanks!

windrunner408

Reaction score
The OEM unison ring is some sort of stainless steel alloy I believe as a magnet won't stick to it.

webb06

Reaction score
Was anti seize used when putting the turbo back together? It may not completely solve your problems, but it'll sure slow them down b

Zbugsii

Reaction score
In further thought, I believe the problem is not with the unison ring, but with the housing itself, the portion of where the unison ring slides against the housing being very pitted. Thus and so, I believe when it gets too bad, new turbo and just try to keep the truck used. Like I said, the previous owner would let the truck sit in the Florida humidity for months on end before using it, thus the level of pitting of the housing.

florida 6.0

Reaction score
That was my issue with the last turbo I had . The housing was so bad I couldn't do anything to get the clearance back other than take a dremel and reshape it .

Bigred91

Reaction score
Have the unison ring ceramic coated and use anti seize when assembling. That's how we solve that problem

Darkhorse diesel performance
101 northgate industrial drive
Ballground, ga
(678) 454-2277

Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.