Standard duty fan clutch?

D66stroke

Reaction score
I put an electric fan on my truck to get me through winter since my last 2 fan clutches seemed to stay 100% locked (fan roaring with increase in RPM). The last fan clutch I bought said severe duty, but I didn't figure that out until after I installed and noticed the roar never went away.. Since it's getting warmer I know a single electric fan isn't going to do much in traffic on MD's 90 degree days, so I'm wanting to do a 6.0 fan or put my fan back on. Only problem is I don't need a clutch that's going to stay 50-100% locked (it's annoying) unless the truck is overheating, and I can't find any standard duty clutches anywhere. Any insight other than a $500 Ford clutch?

D66stroke

Reaction score
Is there any such thing for our trucks? I know that's what the 6.0 and up have, so I guess I could do that and wire it to a switch. I was just hoping to get a replacement clutch that isn't labeled severe duty and doesn't stay mostly locked 24/7

79jasper

Reaction score
Horton ec450.
It's been done. Just have to dig around. Haven't seen the writeups in awhile.
Most use a temp sensor to control it, also hook into the ac using the pressure switch from cars with electric fans and the ivs, so it'll kick in with the ac running when sitting still.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G890A using Tapatalk

superpsd

Reaction score
I ran a electric fan for about a year. Even on 90° days it was fine. I rarely used the fan. Would only get hot when you were hot rodding it and then I just flipped the fan on and eased off. The fan was not strong enough for towing up the passes however. The fan was way too weak. It was your typical eBay 16" low cfm. I had been planning to run an electric fan again but plan to find a good 90s Lincoln Mark 8 fan they flow Like 6000 cfm or just go with the 6.0. They do have an E Fan kit for the 7.3 but is not cheap. Or just search for a used oem fan clutch should not be that hard to find.

Last edited:

D66stroke

Reaction score
I've barely had to even flip the switch for my fan. It was put on towards the end of last summer and I noticed a couples times that the fan wasn't bringing the temp down like I had thought. But yeah I'll look for a used fan clutch

superpsd

Reaction score
I myself run the Ford oem 175° stat. I know the 203° may be better for effeciency but running cooler gives me more time to catch it if something was wrong and it started to get hot. Not to mention cooler coolant temps in theory could lead to longer o ring and cup life in my 02.

gnxtc2

Reaction score
Horton ec450.
It's been done. Just have to dig around. Haven't seen the writeups in awhile.
Most use a temp sensor to control it, also hook into the ac using the pressure switch from cars with electric fans and the ivs, so it'll kick in with the ac running when sitting still.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G890A using Tapatalk

There's a few of us that are running the Horton E-clutch, do a search here. There's plenty of info.

Need the following parts:
- E-clutch
- AC high pressure switch
- N/O Coolant temp switch
- Manual over ride switch (optional)
- Must use original OBS fan

Billy T.
[email protected]

rusty1161

Reaction score
I put an electric fan on my truck to get me through winter since my last 2 fan clutches seemed to stay 100% locked (fan roaring with increase in RPM). The last fan clutch I bought said severe duty, but I didn't figure that out until after I installed and noticed the roar never went away.. Since it's getting warmer I know a single electric fan isn't going to do much in traffic on MD's 90 degree days, so I'm wanting to do a 6.0 fan or put my fan back on. Only problem is I don't need a clutch that's going to stay 50-100% locked (it's annoying) unless the truck is overheating, and I can't find any standard duty clutches anywhere. Any insight other than a $500 Ford clutch?

Horton 996124 kit
Horton 996123 fanclutch only

Rusty

D66stroke

Reaction score
Could I just buy that clutch and just run it on a switch so I don't have to get any of that other stuff? I know to use the fan when the AC is on, getting hot, etc.. I'm not sure what thermostat I have, I'm sure it wouldn't hurt to change it so I know

D66stroke

Reaction score
Yeah the one that I bought that I was having issues with staying locked was from Rock auto. That being said I didn't run it any more than 2 days so if they normally free up after a few days when new then I'd be willing to put it back on. I know a 16" electric fan isn't gonna do much for me in the summer lol

gnxtc2

Reaction score
My original fan clutch stayed locked all the time. I replaced it with a Hayden piece. Towing my trailer (21k) through the mountains, the coolant temp got up there which lead me to go the E-fan route.

The Hayden piece will work fine if you don't work the motor. If you work it, then it's marginal.

Billy T.
[email protected]

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

D66stroke

Reaction score
I don't tow/haul anything, just drive it to and from work. Someone told me all fan clutches stay locked when they're new, and will free up the more you run it, and lock when it should. I just never gave it time to see how true that is

gnxtc2

Reaction score
You'll be fine with an aftermarket piece. When you first start the motor, the fan clutch is locked. As you drive it, the fluid inside the clutch gets dispersed and it frees up.

Billy T.
[email protected]

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

Latest posts

Members online