staring issues looking for some parts that might fix the truck

01 blue 7.3

Reaction score
I'm possibly looking for CPS= Cam Position Sensor
UVCH= Under Valve Cover Harness
GPR= Glow Plug Relay
GP's= Glow Plugs

I'm lookn for some pricing on these parts.

dietoremain

Reaction score
First of all explain what your truck is doing?
If its not starting in the cold the GPR or glow plugs may be bad. Theres write ups on how to check them on many of the forums..
If its stalling randomly and doesnt want to start, its very likely a CPS issue but you said you've changed that already..
IS there a CEL or any codes present(they wont always cause a CEL you need to check)
The UVCH are best to get from international.. they wouldnt cause a no start usually though.. they usually cause a miss or other issues.. they are what connects to your injector solenoids and glow plugs...

Anyway hope that helps.

01 blue 7.3

Reaction score
Well its getn down in the 20's at night and its its not plugged in it won't start. And when its warm out and I start it it has a miss and runs like crap till the engine gets up to temp.

01 blue 7.3

Reaction score
And lately while I'm driving down the road the motor will stop sounding like a diesel and all I can hear is the turbo.

TrailerHauler

Reaction score
It could be any of the things you listed actually. Before you mess with the UVCH I would get a buzz test, which will tell you whether or not all the injectors are getting a good voltage.
Also to determine if your glow plug relay is good or not you can check that with a voltmeter, just check for 12+ volts on the drivers side terminal of the relay when the key is first cycled on (passenger side terminal should always have 12+ volts) and make sure its not your air intake heater relay.

As for the glow plugs, those can be ohmed to see if they are good as well. There's a writeup somewhere that explains how to ohm the glow plugs using the outside two prongs on each side of the UVCH connector (Or the inside four, I can't remember) allowing you to check them without removing the valve covers.

01 blue 7.3

Reaction score
I had a ford dealer check the injectors while they put a new GEM modual in my truck. Some times my truck acts dead till I take my foot off the throttle. It did that the last time b4 I put a new CPS in. But its not as bad now as it was them.

MossBack

Reaction score
I'd use a test light instead of the volt meter to check your glow lug relay. Too many time I have seen voltage when indeed the relay was bad. Just my input.

And the miss or sound that its not running like a Diesel is normal when you let off to idle. I notice it when cruising at 50 or so and let off for a light changing. I wouldn't sweat it.

Sent from my PC36100 using Tapatalk

01 blue 7.3

Reaction score
it just didnt seem right to me, but the only diesels iv ben around are semi's till i got a power stroke

Arisley

Reaction score
I'd use a test light instead of the volt meter to check your glow lug relay. Too many time I have seen voltage when indeed the relay was bad. Just my input.

And the miss or sound that its not running like a Diesel is normal when you let off to idle. I notice it when cruising at 50 or so and let off for a light changing. I wouldn't sweat it.

HUH? I have never seen a situation where I would trust a light over a meter. If you have twelve volts on the secondary side, the meter is good.

And to check the glowplugs the two outer pins on each side of the harness are the glow plugs. check resistance, they should be between 0.8 - 1.2 ohms. If not, they need replaced. If you replace them, replace them with Motorcraft or Bosch, the need to say Beru on the glow plug, if it doesn't, don't use them.

How many miles are on your truck, if the glow plug system is up to snuff and it still needs plugged it to start, it could be a symptom of tired injectors.

Your issue with no power until you let off on the trottle and then hit it again could be a symptom of a bad TPS.

MossBack

Reaction score
HUH? I have never seen a situation where I would trust a light over a meter. If you have twelve volts on the secondary side, the meter is good.

I have many times where corrosion has set into a spot on a wire and with a meter it showed 12 VDC but had no amperage to energize the coil. Happens all time in lighting but is a concept I like to use just to know for sure.

01 blue 7.3

Reaction score

it was doing that while i was driving, but i changed oil and fuel filter and now its all better.

silverpsd_06

Reaction score
I thought you always replace with motorcraft or the stancor? glow plugs not the bosch ones because the tips have a tendency to break off?? Or am i wrong?

TrailerHauler

Reaction score
I thought you always replace with motorcraft or the stancor? glow plugs not the bosch ones because the tips have a tendency to break off?? Or am i wrong?

The glow plugs that tend to have the tips break off were autolites.

Bosch is good, I'm running them in my truck.

Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.