Start of the compound endeavor

Dirty Outlaw

Reaction score
Here's the story I want 6-700 hp and able to tow 10,000 on occasion . I regularly tow 5,000 lbs . In the next week or so I'd like to start ordering parts .so far my plans r 190 /100 injectors with regulated return . Tubular exhaust manifolds , custom up pipes ,ported intake manifold( if I can get the time to finish it). My ? Is witch turbos would be best ,I was thinking of going the 62 over 75 route but would going dual ball bearing be better spooling setup

Mdub707

Reaction score
I would think if you're going to be towing a 62/72 or 62/75 would be ideal. Probably want the 75 if you're shooting for 600-700. I wonder if a 190/100 has enough fuel for 700...

MPD was posting pictures yesterday of their compound setup that uses the stock charger as the high pressure... might want to look into that.

g2shuck

Reaction score
I would think if you're going to be towing a 62/72 or 62/75 would be ideal. Probably want the 75 if you're shooting for 600-700. I wonder if a 190/100 has enough fuel for 700...

MPD was posting pictures yesterday of their compound setup that uses the stock charger as the high pressure... might want to look into that.

Do you have a link to where this is posted?

Dirty Outlaw

Reaction score
I checked that thread out looked good .i just would like anything over 600 and still be able to tow my boat . From what I have gathered compounds is the only way to go . I will have to run the 62 or whatever I get for awhile unless I can get a steal on the large . That's my only thinking of going the bb route and it should spool better

Pizza pig

In the Brig (Banned)
Reaction score
ball bearing wont spool quicker, just a waste of money in my opinion, not much stronger than a 360* thrust bearing from what i've seen either in this kind of application. 62/75 will work well and do what you want. You can get a 475 for less than 800.

FaSSt9602

Reaction score
I checked that thread out looked good .i just would like anything over 600 and still be able to tow my boat . From what I have gathered compounds is the only way to go . I will have to run the 62 or whatever I get for awhile unless I can get a steal on the large . That's my only thinking of going the bb route and it should spool better

Like others have said, an S475 is cheap...the expensive part it all the piping, hose, fittings, fabrication costs, etc that is going to add up quick. Not to mention adding a drain for the LP turbo, although MPD apparently came up with some way to drain back through the glow plug hole...

MorganY

Reaction score
Like others have said, an S475 is cheap...the expensive part it all the piping, hose, fittings, fabrication costs, etc that is going to add up quick. Not to mention adding a drain for the LP turbo, although MPD apparently came up with some way to drain back through the glow plug hole...

This

Dirty Outlaw

Reaction score
The fabrication part will be cheap FREE .my father in law has a shop and does it every day . From what I have gathered just put the drain to the top part of the oil pan. I won't be able to swing the new injectors fuel system and both turbos and have enough for a trans slosh acct.

FaSSt9602

Reaction score
The fabrication part will be cheap FREE .my father in law has a shop and does it every day . From what I have gathered just put the drain to the top part of the oil pan. I won't be able to swing the new injectors fuel system and both turbos and have enough for a trans slosh acct.

Then might I recommend you wait until you have the money, and probably 25% more than you think you will need before you start the build...Morgan can give you first hand experience how much it still costs even when you fabricate yourself (or someone does it free). The compounds themselves are the cheap part...the injectors, fuel system, trans, and oil (depending how large the injectors are) will be big bucks too! :blitzed:

MorganY

Reaction score
Then might I recommend you wait until you have the money, and probably 25% more than you think you will need before you start the build...Morgan can give you first hand experience how much it still costs even when you fabricate yourself (or someone does it free). The compounds themselves are the cheap part...the injectors, fuel system, trans, and oil (depending how large the injectors are) will be big bucks too! :blitzed:

This about sums it up^ I was over budget by about 40%, and I'm still not done. I started buying parts last April, or else this build would've never happened.

It was a little bit more expensive for me as far as piping went. I used all 304 Stainless for the lack of rust potential. Even then, the little things are what add up. I have one vband assembly that ran over $100. When you have 1,2, or even 3 of them, plus clamps, boots, etc. It racks up, and you're bank is calling you about fraud (literally happened to me lol)

That being said, I like seeing guys make the switch to compounds. It's the way to go IMO, to each his own.

However, as said earlier, you're going to need an upgraded fuel system (including fuel pump, regulated return, sump, etc.) and possibly oil depending on how big you want to go on the sticks. Next is injectors, preferably built from ford remans. When you have that out of the way, your trans will be the next thing to go. And that is the worst part other than a full engine build, because it requires $5-6k all at once. I recommend you get those three things out of the way, and then tackle the compounds.

Colton and I had a blast doing my kit. Best of all, you know yourself, how progress is going, and that its all on you to finish it. So don't think I'm bashing away your idea, I'm all for it. It would suck though to have all this time and work into a compound kit, and then have a trans grenade in 50 miles, injectors go from a poor fuel system, stock injectors not spooling your chargers, etc.

If you're ready to start buying a pallet of parts, we'll be here to help along the way. Lots of smart guys, and good info here.

Last edited:

Dirty Outlaw

Reaction score
I sure agree everything takes more money than expected . This week all of the fuel system will be bought ( sump , basically an irate kit with either an a1000 or an sx , to full rr feeding the back of heads) looking for a set of used injectors now I'm second in line to buy the 205/100 that r in the classifieds . If I can't find them soon enough gonna have to buy new ones . The 62 or 63 will also be ordered this week . Looking for a set of exhaust manifolds so the mounting flange can be made and those can be done before the tear down starts . I already have a spare motor for mock up also 1 set of good heads and a set of bad
I've been on the forums for the last two years researching and trolling all of your builds u guys r all of great as in the way u help each other out , wish some of u would be closer to help when the build starts . My wife hates that I got this truck because if the time I spend on and the time I spend on the forums
And if anybody has a parts list for the rr that would be great so I won't have to run to the store multiple times

Latest posts

Members online