Steed Speed 7.3 manifolds

psduser1

Reaction score
Flattened them, and tied all the ports together immediately off the block, which does nothing for scavenging exhaust above 1000 rpm.
In fact, as mentioned, is detrimental to exhaust flow.

Charles

Reaction score
Yes I realize they have to be able to expand and contract, especially stainless. The old ones were David Lotts headers that he sold. Some of it was probably my fault, they did see 16-1800* regularly going down the track. After 8 or 9 hooks they were trashed.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Do you have a picture of the setup? The problem is not the material, nor the strength of the material. A stainless header will see your aluminum pistons in the bottom of hell before failure if designed correctly.

I wonder what the environment in a top fuel header is like for instance. We are not outside the scope of a SS header.

Where did you have all the bellows and/or slip joints placed at in the setup that failed?

A picture would allow us to possibly see any design problems.

To cut to the chase....

If you want an actual solution, explain how it was set up, or preferably show a picture of the old setup. Within 5 seconds it can be determined if the layout and design was at fault or if you just got a set of headers made out of copy paper, or held together with bubblegum, because a SS header will go down the track no problem on a diesel engine for a few short seconds.

Or... just assume headers can't handle the extreme environment you operate in and live with a lack of solution for your need. Which is silly.

That's just my take.

NyCowboy87

Reaction score
I do not have any pictures of it, just go to DI's website and look at their headers or any other person that has DI headers, that's what I had. Bellows were in the up pipes just like every other mount kit I have built, and any commercially available mount kit. I know it's not the materials fault they failed, there needs to be something in place, whether it be a bellow or slip, to absorb the expansion and contraction of the material. I'm all for running a header and will ultimately end up running a set, they just won't be another off the shelf set.

I'm actually thinking of making a set that resemble these.
97f4acfd62d834e10877c18a7e68f482.jpg

Last edited:

Magnum PD

Reaction score
Wonder why the first header has to go back to the center in that pic?

Groomzybanshee

Reaction score
Called steed on my lunch break, to say the least I am not impressed. The guy was a total a$$ to me. Apparently they are not going to make them and he told me straight up that whatever I decide to run it won't be a steed manifold, goodbye and hung up the phone on me. Needless to say I will never buy anything from them.

Leen is a total dbag.

superpsd

Reaction score
Maybe just build some mild steel headers. I would rather have mild over stainless. Also is see that Carson makes 7.3 headers as well have you talked to them?

Last edited:

mattman347

Reaction score
a6233540600b90443d0500988e16bfb4.jpg

So far these have been working great, 1/8" wall stainless argon purge welded and for best results get them coated. They are heavy!

NyCowboy87

Reaction score
Maybe just build some mild steel headers. I would rather have mild over stainless. Also is see that Carson makes 7.3 headers as well have you talked to them?

Called Carson Friday, he was busy with a customer so I'm waiting for a call back.