Steering and suspension Death Wobble

Irishcream

Reaction score
I have been having an issue with what I can only describe as a front end steering and suspension death wobble. The problem started about a year ago and has gotten more and more frequent until now when it does it all the time. The first time it happened I thought I had a flat tire because the truck, 97 F250 OBS 4X4 ext Cab long box, started to shutter, the steering wheel was shaking and the truck was bouncing like it was on a very bumpy road. when I went to pull over it got worse when I applied the brakes. It felt like the front end was gonna come apart. That was on a flat road. I was going about 70km/h
I used the truck to move 3000kms across the country and had to drive through the mountains. The problem which hadn't occurred after the first time for about 4 months was now back with avengence. I was pulling an 8K lb cargo trailer behind be and when I would go downhill at highway speeds it got so bad that it was hard to hold onto the steering wheel, it felt like the steering shaft was either gonna snap or the wheels were gonna rip off the truck. Trying to slow down on these steep downhills only amplified the shaking.
Now everytime I get the truck out on the highway it starts "bouncing" like I'm back on that rough road and then the steering wheel shakes and gets worse. The shaking goes away when I finally get back down to about 30km/hr.
The truck shakes so bad that using the mirrors is impossible, the shifter is shaking around to the point where it is almost popping out of gear.
I have so far checked the bearings, spindles, and ball joints and all is well. There are no obvious signs of loose steering parts when I got my wife to "rock" the steering back and forth.
Can worn out springs in the TTB front end cause this issue? The spring pin bushings look to be worn out as well. I plan on doing either a TTB lift kit with new springs or a Dana60 swap if I every have a rich relative leave me an inheritance.
I need help on this one please.

Lang

Reaction score
Have you checked your brakes? (Worn rotors, sticking calipers). Also does this shaking ever happen while idling?

Aaron S

Reaction score
Ive got no real experience with your problem on the ttb axles, but I say check the bushing and all aspects of where the ttb arms mount to the engine crossmember area. At least thats where I believe they mount.

Irishcream

Reaction score
No shaking while Idling and it doesn't happen all the time either. It's so odd because it doesn't happen going up hill and not at speeds lower than 40mph. I will check the TTB bushings this weekend.

Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.