Steering Column

d7es3l

Reaction score
What is the best way to get my hands on a new steering column? The bearings failed awhile ago in it, but yesterday all the electronics failed (got twisted up & broke in the wheel). I had cruise control but it's gone now and my damn horn keeps honking every time I turn... Haha. Will a SD column work?

Dieselfever

Reaction score
I've seen a Super duty column installed in an OBS, I'm not sure what is involved in making it work though. Why not fix your column?

d7es3l

Reaction score
I've seen a Super duty column installed in an OBS, I'm not sure what is involved in making it work though. Why not fix your column?

Isn't a bearing puller required to pull those bearings out? Is a press required to install the bearings also?

kadeninabnitt

Reaction score
no puller or press needed the only pita is the tilt mech springs and theres one spring that keeps pressure on the bearings thats held in with a c clip i just used a deep socket that was the same diameter as the spring slid the spring on then c cllip and used a longer bolt to squeeze the spring down and snap the clip in at the same time other than that pretty simple fix

superduty4x4

Reaction score
The spacing between the bolts on the SD column is wider (front to back) than the OBS column. I've had both out side by side. You'd have to make a hybrid column using a mix of OBS and SD parts to make it work.
The column can be rebuilt but by the time you replace ALL the wear parts (and they will all be trashed I almost guarantee it) you're looking at $100+. Been there, done that not too long ago.

Dieselfever

Reaction score
Been there done it too, on several customer trucks. So approx $100 to fix your broken column(plus time or labor) and have it last another 150k-200k miles or buy a junk yard one for however much and hope it last a decent amount of time or you'll have 2 bad ones.

I didn't do the SD column install, just saw the truck that it was in. Someone bought the truck off eBay and it showed up like that. I wouldn't spend the time on doing the swap personally

DIE5EL

Reaction score
I just did mine about a month ago. 100 in parts from dealer. Mine to would honk the horn when i turned the wheel. didnt take much for dissasembly because all both bearings were shattered and laying down in my steering column shroud piece. I had to do some work on the shaft but worked out well. Since I was in the area, i went ahead and replaced the shifter column and bushings. The selector was sloppy. I will tell you one thing, it felt like a brand new truck when I was done.
good luck

Dieselfever

Reaction score
It's amazing how fixing the steering column, auto shifter linkage, and/or manual pedal bushings in these trucks makes them feel so nice to drive again

7.3psd97444

Reaction score
If you just want to rebuild the column and get new electronics rather then replacing the whole thing I (as well im sure others) have all the part numbers and such for the rebuild kit needed. Just under $100 from Ford.

d7es3l

Reaction score
If you just want to rebuild the column and get new electronics rather then replacing the whole thing I (as well im sure others) have all the part numbers and such for the rebuild kit needed. Just under $100 from Ford.

Good to know! I would like to get all those numbers! I need both bearings & the electronics (cruise control/horn). Thank you!

7.3psd97444

Reaction score
All I have is for the rebuild kit. (bearings)

Part number for the kit: F6AZ-3605-AA
It will come up as a Ford Freestar, or something like that, mini van column rebuild kit. Idk why just does.

Kit includes:
-Steel tolerence ring
-Steel sleeve
-Bearing pre-load spring
-Upper bearing snapring
-New steering wheel attaching bolt
-Small upper bearing
-Large upper bearing
-****ty instructions

Fairely easy to do. Simple hand tools. Just remember the way you take apart all the plastic peices to the internal ignition parts after removing the actual ignition with the key. Some steering wheels will require a puller, mine did. Others will not. Ive heard both. If the shaft is tore up at all from the destroyed bearings you will most likey need to replace the shaft. (upper) I made the mistake of cleaning up the tore up shaft and installing the new bearings on it. (being cheap) And I have a squeek in the wheel again. No play just noise, for now. Mine was so bad before the new bearings the wheel would bind up mid turn and not move. Fairly scary on the street. LOL

Latest posts

Members online