Steering issues!!!!

bootcamp

Reaction score
Need some advice here guys, noticed a while back my steering would not turn the wheels at a dead stand still either in park or nuetral. I have replaced the power steering pump three times now, changed the steering gear box and hydro boost. But I can't turn the wheel to save my life, if the truck is moving they will turn just fine, Ford dealer has replace the pump and the gear box and the result was still the same. I have read several times where guys have had to change several pumps before they final get one that will work, is this the case for me. I'm running 35's and I don't see where this should be an,issue. Need some help here, tired of throwing money at it.
Thanks

taterthedog

Reaction score
I agree. Especially if wider, offset wheels are used. .

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

bootcamp

Reaction score
I have been using offset wheels since i bought the truck new back in 05 with no issues. Maybe some of the other folks out there with the lifted trucks and offset wheels will chime in and agree or disagree. Ford sales way to many of those store bought trucks with offset wheels on them to have this kind of trouble with steering.

griz700rocket

Reaction score
I believe Ford cheapened the steering box in 05 when they went to coils in the front. You'll notice it more when you have your foot on the brake also.

bootcamp

Reaction score
I got two of these trucks, one stock and of course one lifted. When i get home I will swap the stockers on to my truck and see how she performs. Its just wierd, that after all these years of driving it, I just happen to notice this. I know about putting the brake jig being hard on the steering at a stand still. All u-joints and ball joints are good to go.Thanks for the input.

diezelfreak

Reaction score
My 04 with x12's an 33's you can't turn the wheel sitting steel I just barley roll an it turns perfectly fine.

Layson

Reaction score
Just be careful that his how people break off sector shafts or pitman arms. It is always at low speed in parking lots.

sootie

Reaction score
installing a redhead steering gear helps tremendously

sootie

Reaction score
I would really like to see that actual comparison.

i did it in my six four with 20x10 -24 offset, 35" terra grapplers. changed nothing but the steering gear. would turn stopped on pavement after-wouldnt before. never changed the pump or whatever assists it. basically, they machine out where bushings normally go and put needle bearings. there is no room for deflection or bind and of course resistance is reduce dramatically.

Jomax

Reaction score
I would really like to see that actual comparison.

It does, I went from a rebuilt box to a redhead, night and day.

And to the op, any ford truck 6.0 diesel and newer, steering should be super easy. Somthing is wrong, or they aren't bleeding the system right.

Layson

Reaction score
Good to know. Typically people who actually install one are removing a garbage steering gear. So when you install the new one it is a dramatic improvement. Much like a standard rebuilt one....LOL

Layson

Reaction score
It does, I went from a rebuilt box to a redhead, night and day.

And to the op, any ford truck 6.0 diesel and newer, steering should be super easy. Somthing is wrong, or they aren't bleeding the system right.

What was the reason for changing out the box to begin with?

Latest posts

Members online