steering linkage and joints

lincolnlocker

Reaction score
Well, go throw those wheels on a road force balancer... You'll find out fast which rim is bent... I would not have lasted this long with a bent rim... Vibrations drive me up the wall.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
nobody will because of the balance beads..

live life full throttle

god bless america and the farmer who feeds your fat ass

mikeeg02

Reaction score
Well, go throw those wheels on a road force balancer... You'll find out fast which rim is bent... I would not have lasted this long with a bent rim... Vibrations drive me up the wall.

Actually, if you put the wheels on any balancer and spin it, you can watch and see if it's got a flat spot.

jimdawg185

Reaction score
It's clearly operator error. Should have used your fancy purple pump.

Jomax

Reaction score
they dont spin fast enough on a balance machine to properly distribute the beads. always get a different reading..

live life full throttle

That's why I said road force! It spins them to almost highway speeds...

Jomax

Reaction score
Actually, if you put the wheels on any balancer and spin it, you can watch and see if it's got a flat spot.

I've had bent rims only show on a road force balancer is the reason I told him that. But a rim that has an actual flat spot. For sure any balancer should show.

mikeeg02

Reaction score
I've had bent rims only show on a road force balancer is the reason I told him that. But a rim that has an actual flat spot. For sure any balancer should show.

I understand what you are saying now. I was just saying for a visual. I tried to get the local ford dealer to do a road force once. They said my stock tires were too big lol. Just stock 275/70-18, all terrain type treads. But Ive been doing my own tires for ~16 years now.

Jomax

Reaction score
I understand what you are saying now. I was just saying for a visual. I tried to get the local ford dealer to do a road force once. They said my stock tires were too big lol. Just stock 275/70-18, all terrain type treads. But Ive been doing my own tires for ~16 years now.

Yeah, that's the hard part. My local discount tire barely does my trucks tires. It's not that they can't, they just get scared of having that big of a tire spinning that fast LOL.

lincolnlocker

Reaction score
That's why I said road force! It spins them to almost highway speeds...

not according to a couple guys i asked to do it for me.. said it wouldn't balance out with beads inside... siad they woukd if I wanted to clean the beads out and start over..

but as for a visual, i have spun them on a balancer to see how bad it was and my dumbass didnt mark the rim that had a wow in it..

live life full throttle

mikeeg02

Reaction score

Attachments

• track rod joint.jpg
    track rod joint.jpg
    17.1 KB · Views: 96

lincolnlocker

Reaction score

Yellow1000

Reaction score
So after reading this , my track bar makes noise and the truck wanders all over. Stock size tires and 27,000 miles. Carli replacement is a good one right?

WHY NOT

Reaction score
So after reading this , my track bar makes noise and the truck wanders all over. Stock size tires and 27,000 miles. Carli replacement is a good one right?

Seems to be, but replacing the track bar doesn't fix the lower axle side joint that is the issue.

Yellow1000

Reaction score
Well I'm still under warranty so they will replace it , I already called. But this is one of those situations where I see a chance to upgrade. And I hate the " shudder" if that's the word I'm looking for in the steering when you hit bumps.

lincolnlocker

Reaction score
Seems to be, but replacing the track bar doesn't fix the lower axle side joint that is the issue.
very true... but the bushing on the frame of mine was moving just as much as the axle joint so the both got replaced.. I still have a shimmy every now and then so something else is wrong too..

live life full throttle

mikeeg02

Reaction score
I did the same. Replaced both ends. Still had intermittent shimmy. Turned out one of my wheels had a small flat spot in it. It showed fine on the balancer. But when driving down the road it was intermittent. Sometimes it'd be perfect, then for 20 seconds it'd shake. Never mattered whether it was in the front or rear (during rotations) same on and off shimmy. Swapped the tire onto the spare tire rim, all better.

Does your truck have aluminum or steel wheels? I wouldn't think it would happen with aluminum. (Mine are steel)

Secondly. How loaded is your truck? I can't remember if you'd said before.

Jomax

Reaction score
very true... but the bushing on the frame of mine was moving just as much as the axle joint so the both got replaced.. I still have a shimmy every now and then so something else is wrong too..

live life full throttle

Have you checked your alignment? Your camber could be off. When I bent my Axle causing the camber to go bad. I had that shimmy hitting those expansion joints on the freeway bridges. Also had it of the bolt for the traction bar to frame wasn't SUPER tight.

Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.