Steering problems

ben774

Reaction score
Hey guys. I have had my newest truck for about two months now. It's a 2000 f350 it has a 3 inch lift and 33x12.5 inch tires. Problem isn't turning exactly. It's just when I go over a bump in the road and the truck bounces the wheel turns left OR right about 60 degrees but the truck doesn't normally move when this happens. Last night driving home I went over a bump at about 65mph and my wheel turned about 80 degrees to the right and I jumped sideways about 3 feet and hit the gravel. So I was wondering what it would be.. I know most lifted trucks I have seen have dual steering stabilizers. Is that recommended ? Or could mine just be shot.

I forgot to mention that when I'm driving on mostly smooth road my truck drives flawlessly. There's no alignment issues drives straight and true.

JLDickmon

Reaction score
any of the above, and I'll include weak shock absorbers..
that's wreckin' loose.. and shouldn't be..

powerlifter405

Reaction score
Hey guys. I have had my newest truck for about two months now. It's a 2000 f350 it has a 3 inch lift and 33x12.5 inch tires. Problem isn't turning exactly. It's just when I go over a bump in the road and the truck bounces the wheel turns left OR right about 60 degrees but the truck doesn't normally move when this happens. Last night driving home I went over a bump at about 65mph and my wheel turned about 80 degrees to the right and I jumped sideways about 3 feet and hit the gravel. So I was wondering what it would be.. I know most lifted trucks I have seen have dual steering stabilizers. Is that recommended ? Or could mine just be shot.

I forgot to mention that when I'm driving on mostly smooth road my truck drives flawlessly. There's no alignment issues drives straight and true.

Sounds like something is loose. If you have no play in the steering when the truck is sitting then your steering gear should be ok.
I'd guess worn balljoints on the steering linkages and your track bar is loose or the holes are wallowed out. I had the same problem my track bar was loose and the bracket was worn necessitating a larger bolt. I had a joint that was worn pretty bad and the steering gear had play. I replace everything and it's a lot tighter but the reman gear already has play in it. When I save up I'll likely get a redhead SG out of oregon and be done w/ it.

Good luck.

CGMKCM

Reaction score
Check the pitman arm. Mine was partially stripped and would do what you described. Start truck and have someone turn the wheel while you watch the pitman arm.

Latest posts

Members online