Steering wheel Replacement with controls?? Can I do that?

mattmal9

Reaction score
Hey guys, my truck is a Premium Xlt but i didn't get the upgraded stereo when i bought it. I have 2 questions. Can i just add the controls to the steering wheel in the truck right now? I have just played with trying to remove the foam insert in its place, and it didn't want to seem to move. Other question is even if i do purchase the Lariat wheels with the controls will the truck have the radio control harness in it if it didn't have that option? Has anyone added these controls before? Haven't been able to find much about anyone trying to do this. Any help is appreciated. Thanks.

Dzchey21

Reaction score
pm Gracing, he did it, and its not that easy and it takes a 300 dollar steering wheel if i remember right

mattmal9

Reaction score
pm Gracing, he did it, and its not that easy and it takes a 300 dollar steering wheel if i remember right

Is that his correct username? I cant seem to find him on here? But i have found the new wheel for 280$, but I have to transfer the airbag over. Im mainly wondering If the harness i need is there.

G Racing

Reaction score
Is that his correct username? I cant seem to find him on here? But i have found the new wheel for 280$, but I have to transfer the airbag over. Im mainly wondering If the harness i need is there.

The harness and everything is there. You have to get a new steering wheel, it will come with all the switches. The new radio will need to be at least the 6 disk cd radio for it to work. The single disk cd radios won't interface with the switch.

Buck1

Reaction score
I have an extra steering wheel if that helps. Will make ya deal. It is for tan interior. Dark brown wheel.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I537 using Tapatalk

rray37375

Reaction score
My truck had the CD-6 radio in it. I put an aftermarket Kenwood in it with an aftermarket interface that will allow any radio with a remote control line to be controlled by the steering wheel controls. Check with Crutchfield.com, that's where I got my stuff.

mattmal9

Reaction score
Thanks guys. Ive already upgraded my radio to a aftermarket headunit and I went ahead and purchased a new Lariat Leather wheel with all the controls already in it. Looking forward to installing and having the controls.

mattmal9

Reaction score
My truck had the CD-6 radio in it. I put an aftermarket Kenwood in it with an aftermarket interface that will allow any radio with a remote control line to be controlled by the steering wheel controls. Check with Crutchfield.com, that's where I got my stuff.

Thats exactly what Im going with, I already have Kenwood in the truck I just need to order the aftermarket interface. Do you know which one you went with? I saw a couple choices on there website.

Buck1

Reaction score
I bought all mine thru Crutchfield, will try and dig up the part number.

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk

Latest posts

Members online