Steering wheel swap

Irishcream

Reaction score
Does anyone know if I can change the steering wheel to a newer model. I have a 97 F250 xl and I want to switch it up a little. I am customizing my interior and want to know if I can update it a little. It has cruise control buttons on the steering wheel so I'd need the same sort of layout.

DieselFreak92

Reaction score
weareweird69 did a swap using a steering wheel from an 05 Excursion. He tired it up with his custom climate control and to his stereo so that everything was functional. But, if I remember correctly it was a LOT of work and you need to be good with wires.

Irishcream

Reaction score
I don't think I wanna get into the stereo and climate control business just yet, my controls are all still manual dials. Cat, do you mean swapping in a 99-04?

Cat_rebel

Reaction score
the entire column? Sounds like a huge undertaking.

It's about an hour or 2 long job that I'm about to have to do "again". I bought my 97 with a busted column so I installed another used column. That worked great until I put the 35s on & made a 600 mile drive to WI & it busted this one too. So I'll be installing another one shortly.

superduty4x4

Reaction score
I mean taking the column from a 99-04 F250-F550 & installing it into a 92-97 F250-F350.
Not a direct swap, the mounting holes are different, but only slightly. You could probably disassemble both columns and swap the lower mount from the OBS to the SD column and have it fit. I never got around to taking it that far. There are some differences in how the wiring hooks up too.

Irishcream

Reaction score
My controls are pretty simple with the cruise and horn being the only one I have. Even if I had the extra buttons not being used. I'd imagine the air bag may be different hookups.

dave186

Reaction score
I have always wanted to put a 94-96 F150 airbag wheel on my truck. Not for the airbag, I wouldnt mess with hooking it up, I just like the look of them. Im sure it can be done, I just havent got around to it.

weareweird69

Reaction score
You can use any SD style ford wheel basically, from 2005-2006 and OLDER. And the Excursions and Explorers work from 03/04 and older.

Yes, you need to be good with wires, and why are you breaking columns?

Cat_rebel

Reaction score
Bought the truck with about 160k miles & broken column on stock tires. I swapped in a good used one & it lasted me about 8-9 months before it came apart too. So I'm going to give it another try with another used one.

superduty4x4

Reaction score
I have always wanted to put a 94-96 F150 airbag wheel on my truck. Not for the airbag, I wouldnt mess with hooking it up, I just like the look of them. Im sure it can be done, I just havent got around to it.
Talyn did it and has a write up on his little web site he runs.

96F350KID

Reaction score
You can use a 99-06 steering wheel all you need is the coil spring and just connect color wire to color wires. You don't have to swap whole colums HOWEVER if get one from a 03-06 with a 6.0 you need and get the buttons from a 99-03 7.3 truck. Ask me how i know. lol Also the coil spring will clip on to the 94-97 colum \ with no issues!!

If you need pics i have some