Stiction?

kdogg85

Reaction score
I am putting this up for a buddy who is having white/grey smoke at startup and until the eot hits around 140*-150* then clears right up. Could this be stiction? The truck does not run rough or take long to start(anywhere between 2 and 4 turns of the engine). Ficm main power is 58v in every way of checking and it doesn't seem to be loosing coolant either.

Haven't done a pb or cont. test yet and can't get any codes on the dashboss or livewire. Have checked for codes when it's cold and after driving for a while. I don't have my ae anymore and don't know anyone local who does.

He did put a 16oz bottle of ar9100 in and hasn't noticed any difference, fuel filters are changed every 10k, oil every 5k with t6, motorcraft filters all around. This didn't start until the truck sat for 2 months waiting on a turbo after his pmax tore up.

It's either an injector, glow plug issue, or something else, I am lost to help him out.

kyle43335

In the Brig (Banned)
Reaction score
I am putting this up for a buddy who is having white/grey smoke at startup and until the eot hits around 140*-150* then clears right up. Could this be stiction? The truck does not run rough or take long to start(anywhere between 2 and 4 turns of the engine). Ficm main power is 58v in every way of checking and it doesn't seem to be loosing coolant either.

Haven't done a pb or cont. test yet and can't get any codes on the dashboss or livewire. Have checked for codes when it's cold and after driving for a while. I don't have my ae anymore and don't know anyone local who does.

He did put a 16oz bottle of ar9100 in and hasn't noticed any difference, fuel filters are changed every 10k, oil every 5k with t6, motorcraft filters all around. This didn't start until the truck sat for 2 months waiting on a turbo after his pmax tore up.

It's either an injector, glow plug issue, or something else, I am lost to help him out.

does he drive the truck pretty quick after startup? or does he let it idle for say 20 mins before he drives?

ive had people let their trucks idle,that really didnt know they had stiction, with smoke. by the time they drive it,eot came up enough,and the engine ran smooth.

kdogg85

Reaction score
Waits until the dashboss boots up and then goes(about 20 seconds). Doesn't get on it until it is fully warmed and keeps under 2k rpms until oil is around 140*. It blows the smoke pretty bad under even light acceleration, but has no other symptoms.

I have wondered if even though the egr cooler is gone, under the stock program, could the valve still have something to do with the fuel system even though it is only opening and nothing is going through there.

He won't load one of his tunes for fear of making things worse, even the unlimited tow which is no hp gain.

He does have caterpillar coolant, this coolant would smell sweet if it was burning, right? Because there is no sweet smell.

kyle43335

In the Brig (Banned)
Reaction score
Waits until the dashboss boots up and then goes(about 20 seconds). Doesn't get on it until it is fully warmed and keeps under 2k rpms until oil is around 140*. It blows the smoke pretty bad under even light acceleration, but has no other symptoms.

I have wondered if even though the egr cooler is gone, under the stock program, could the valve still have something to do with the fuel system even though it is only opening and nothing is going through there.

He won't load one of his tunes for fear of making things worse, even the unlimited tow which is no hp gain.

He does have caterpillar coolant, this coolant would smell sweet if it was burning, right? Because there is no sweet smell.

Nope egr valve doesnt nothing at this point. What turbo is on this truck now??

kdogg85

Reaction score
MTW Stage 1. Already checked to see if it was the oil seal if that was the point of the question.

kdogg85

Reaction score
I took the truck to work with me last night and the only thing I thought was odd was the when cold icp psi was 1300-1400 at idle. This was with temps in the 40's. I don't quite remember what mine use to run but I dont remember it being that high when cold and I ran 15w40 in mine. Idling when fully warm was 570-590 which seems normal to me. I did run it fairly hard and got no puking ski think we can rule out head gaskets. What gets me is it starts up just fine and isn't low on power even with the stock file. The only thing I can compare it too is my cr as it smokes like this when its cold but I also do not have the grid heater. I am kinda leaning towards glow plugs as the batt voltage comes back to 13.8-14.2 after only 1 minute or so, mine us to take 2 minutes or so to come back up.

Latest posts

Members online