still having oil cooler problems help

twitch02x

Reaction score
On second replacement cooler( OEM).
First one didn't make it 1000 miles before eot back up yo 220, second one has 1500 on it now and eot have started to creep again. Started with 5 degree delta now up to 10 with a max eot of 204.
I flushed this thing for 500 miles before installing last cooler. (Restore plus, dimplr green, purple power, cascade) and my coolant filter caught so much it wasn't funny, my mechanic was shocked when he cut it open.

Should I try flushing some more or what, kinda at a loss

SEABEE08FX4

Reaction score
Sounds like you didn't get it all out, if there was that much junk in there it may take a few attempts at flushing to rid the system of all of it.

Reaction score
On second replacement cooler( OEM).
First one didn't make it 1000 miles before eot back up yo 220, second one has 1500 on it now and eot have started to creep again. Started with 5 degree delta now up to 10 with a max eot of 204.
I flushed this thing for 500 miles before installing last cooler. (Restore plus, dimplr green, purple power, cascade) and my coolant filter caught so much it wasn't funny, my mechanic was shocked when he cut it open.

Should I try flushing some more or what, kinda at a loss

10 degrees and 204 on oil temp isn't that far out. I would get the Motorcraft VC-9 flush. It's nasty stuff but it will get anything in the system out.

grimrippy23

Reaction score
i got around the same temps as you. I don't want to spend the money on replacing my oil cooler right now. I'm going to try the flush this weekend. Hopefully it will fix my problems

SEABEE08FX4

Reaction score
If the oil cooler is clogged flushing won't fix it. And if you use VC9 only use two quarts per flush followed by a complete drain ( block plugs and all ). Then run straight distilled water for a few hours repeated by a full drain, then 50/50 coolant distilled water. If you want to do another round of VC9 just repeat the steps again. I'm currently in the process of doing this for a customers truck that quite possibly had the worst cooling system clogging I've ever seen. Never run straight tap water or even straight water for any extended period of time is the moral of that story.

grimrippy23

Reaction score
so pretty much there is nothing I can do right now about it? cant afford oil cooler at the moment

twitch02x

Reaction score
If he can't afford a oem cooler(350) he def can't afford the aftermarket kit (1300)
That's just crazy hell I can't afford that

grimrippy23

Reaction score
I could get the cooler before too long. I just know I can't pay for the labor, I would try and do it myself but I'm not sure if I would be in over my head or not.

twitch02x

Reaction score
When I did my last one I did it cab on and only hard part was up pipe bolts,
Remove batteries
Remove degas
Remove fuel cooler with large bracket
Remove turbos
Tak studs out of fan shroud that connect to intake replace with bolts
Remove intake
Remove old cooler and replace
Follow steps in reverse order

jimdawg185

Reaction score
Those turbos are a pain, in and out. Have a friend to help replace so you don't mess up that oil drain thingy. I don't think the rest of it is all that hard to do.

TRUBBS

Reaction score
im planning on doing a new oil cooler and rockers on a 6.4 that i buy, pretty much planning on pulling the cab the weekend i get it to egr delete/studs/ cooler and rockers.
would it be a good idea to get that flush stuff and run it before i pull the cab?

SEABEE08FX4

Reaction score
im planning on doing a new oil cooler and rockers on a 6.4 that i buy, pretty much planning on pulling the cab the weekend i get it to egr delete/studs/ cooler and rockers.
would it be a good idea to get that flush stuff and run it before i pull the cab?

Always a good idea to flush the cooling system while its apart, pull the block plugs and run some compressed air through it too after it dries out. You'd be amazed at some of the stuff that comes out.

Latest posts

Members online