Still no dice, any suggestions?

Six Liter

Reaction score
The truck in my Sig. began to have long starts about a week ago. Not bad at first, just a few seconds longer than normal. Over the past week slowly got worse. Watching the ICP while cranking would seen around 400 psi then suddenly start. Now won't build over 350 psi. IPR is way high around 85. Ficm is showing 48 to 50 at the OBD II. Unplugged the ICP sensor and the reading defaulted to around 1500 psi. IPR reading dropped to around 40, still no start. Last time the truck ran the ICP readings looked fine while running. Dropped from around 800 down to around 600 at idle during warm-up. Under wot would see over 4000. IPR seemed to be doing normal duty around 25-27 just cruising. Fuel pressure is steady around 65 psi. What am I missing? Any ideas?

webb06

Reaction score
Have you changed any parts? Sounds like an ipr that was starting to go out and then finally bit the dust.

Six Liter

Reaction score
Not yet......kinda leaning toward IPR failure......think I'm gonna pull it in the morning and check it. Maybe the screen is just plugged. Doesn't really act like hpop problems. Went out a year ago, and just quit while driving. This is different?????

Big Angry Hillbilly

Reaction score
IPR is not typically a gradual failure. It usually just quits starting, not long cranking before.

USUALLY but not always.

I'd bet HP oil leak.

webb06

Reaction score
We recently had it happen with a customers truck. It could be a number of things like always

Six Liter

Reaction score
ICP sensor is pulled.......it looks nice and dry. Don't really think that is it.the way the gauge was reading seemed to be acting normal. Trying to get my hands on a tool to remove the IPR valve. Would like to see what the screen looks like. Should I do pressure test at ICP port?

ghohouston

Reaction score
Let me re phrase that, does it have the new sytle setup, with the icp in the pass. Oil rail, or is it back at the hpop? If you have the newer style, that has the straight oil rails, you can have a torn oring on the stand pipes or dummy plugs, which will just bleed off h.p.o. but generally means no hot starts, but could be possibly causing your problem

ghohouston

Reaction score
Okay well forget what I said then. I would pull ipr like stated, you can use an 1 3/8 wrench, or they make a special socket for them with a slit cut out for the electrical connector

Six Liter

Reaction score
Pulled the IPR. No metal shavings like I would expect if the pump was failing. But I guess there wouldn't necessarily need to be. Couple of small black slivers.......Maybe o-ring........nothing in alarming quantities. Screen looked to be somewhat sludged.......maybe slowing oil flow. Could be some residue from changing oil cooler a short while ago. So......could be failing pump or failing IPR. Fun fun fun

Mixedbreed

Reaction score
Could be an injector o ring or three. Mine did the same thing and that's what it was. Would start pretty ok in the morning but not if warm. Starting fluid got me on my way (only vehicle ) and then it just wouldn't start. Took a week to get I that state. Three o-rings on the top of the injectors went very bad.

Six Liter

Reaction score
Truck went to Rudy's...........internal o-rings gone in 3 or 4 injectors and weak hpop. Good time for fresh headgaskets and new oil cooler. Good people to work with. Just waiting now...............

Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.