Still No Start

SOBX

Reaction score
Just got a new FICM from the folks over at ficmrepair.com and I still have a serious issue. The truck will crank, but wont fire. Replacing fuel filters today, but the one on the engine has a cracked cover. I dont have a scanner or tuner, so I dont know numbers, but my oil pressure gauge shows pressure with the ipr unplugged, and no pressure plugged in. Ideas?

SOBX

Reaction score
I did work my way through the troubleshooting steps, but I might be doing it wrong. Any thoughts or suggestionswould be awesome, I need to to goto work tomorrow.....

STROKER

Reaction score
I believe if you go to autozone they will loan out scan tools. If your fuel filter cap is cracked to the point where it won't seal thats probably your issue.

SOBX

Reaction score
I probably should have clerifyed that, but I cracked the fuel filter cap when I was trying to get it off. I still cand get it off, but I ordered a billet one...wont have to worry about that one again. Versly, I just got back from sears where I bought my own scan tool and a circuit tester. They'll be more to follow...

ghohouston

Reaction score
Did you get your 3 ficm connectors pushed ALL the way in the ficm? Its always a good idea to ziptie them to the ficm so they cant back themselves out of the clips break

SOBX

Reaction score
That is the one thing im not sure of. I pushed those connectors in as far as I could, then pulled to make sure they werent going anywhere. They didnt budge.

ghohouston

Reaction score
The icp sensor is on the pass side valve cover. The ipr is under your turbo. Try unplugging the icp and starting the truck. Also, if the sensor has oil inside the plug, its bad and needs to be replaced

SOBX

Reaction score
Gotta get fuel filters as my cap is cracked. I tried cranking it with it unplugged, but no luck (that was last night). I cleared the code and tried cranking it a few minutes ago, and it sounded like it wants to start. Shou.d I go ahead and pick up a new icp while im at the store? Whats the likelihood that is is the icp?

hiniker88

Reaction score
mine did that the day after i bought it. think they told me it was the oil pressure sensor? also read a thread on psn with the same symptoms and it was the fan clutch. was looking under the hood of my truck and the fan clutch harness looks brand new so i dont know if they replaced that also or not.

Commandos888

Reaction score
You need a scanner.Even with no icp input voltage the pcm will use rpm,ap,vss to calculate an ipr command.which would mean open loop.they can run even without the icp.Whats the fuel pressure like??

Commandos888

Reaction score
And yes a shorted fan clutch will cause a no start or no crank.the fan clutch shares a Vref with the transmission range sensor.best way i found disconnect clutch connector if it starts you have a shorted fan clutch.

SOBX

Reaction score
Ok, so what the original issue was it stalled on me and it wouldnt start back up. I put a new ficm on it and its just cranking. It buzzes and there is fuel going to it. After I crank on it now, I can hear gergling for a few seconds. The oil pressure rises with the icp connected and doesnt with it disconnected.

SOBX

Reaction score
Could this be a fuse or relay somewhere? I can check fuses with my circuit tester, but but how would I check relays?

SOBX

Reaction score
I just picked up a cheap scanner from Sears. Still just the p2285 code. I've got the charger hooked up now because the batteries started to die. I had new stand pipes and dummy plugs put in about a year ago, but didn't have the stc fitting done. I pulled the egr valve and it's pretty nasty and there is a huge pile of oil and soot in the intake manifold. It's taking forever for the oil pressure to build on the dash gauge and the gurgling is coming from the fuel filter bowl on the engine. The filter itself is nearly black, but it was replaced about 3k miles ago along with the one on the frame. I don't have the cash to have it torn down for a complete inspection. Other than starting from the top end and working my way in to the motor and cleaning and replacing parts as I go, I'm absolutely baffled.

Latest posts

Members online