Stock huffer just let go, need a Big turbo ASAP!!

STR8LINE

Reaction score
Just went down to my buddies Hi Po diesel shop (Fast Layne) and took my 06 down the road to my house to show him my 7.3 obs truck I just got an let him take a look at diagnosing it.

Anyways, I reeled into the throttle on way back and the stock turbo let go.. White smoked like crazy all way back.. Popped and lost All boost, gauge never moved after that.. Sounded bad. Run like total crap.. Even got a flame thrower effect out of the stack a quople times limping it back to shop.

Needless today I couldn't take the time to pull intake off and look/feel the turbo but I Know it's Fubar .. I got a ride back to the house an been working on my cobra figure out a coolant leak so I can drive it for now. But I Need to order a turbo ASAP and meet it here. I've tried calling Barder but no answer, left a message.

Here is the thing, I've been contemplating either biggest Vgt I can get or a big air werks etc.. But since this happened and Iam under time constraint I guess big Vgt it is, as it will be quickest to get back up an on the road. I would make my own peristalsis mount etc if I went t4 style flange an don't really have the time too .. But knowing I could save about a grand on turbo price big Vgt vs like an s466, what all will I run into if I go the T4 way, is it worth it?

Truck has a Big fuel system, regulated return, 190/30 inj, ported heads and intake..

Any and all advice appreciated

y9etapub.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

smokedout250

Reaction score
barder stage 2 or 3 would work well with that injector. If your looking to go cheap and fast non Vgt you can always pickup an adapter kit. The adapter will hinder some but if you want cheap and quick it's an option, at least until you want to spend the money on a full mount or a big vgt. As for non Vgt, I'd look into the 64.5fmw... I'm sure others will have some ideas as well

STR8LINE

Reaction score
Thanks guys, Iam Deffinately going atleast stage3 or bigger.. As I plan on bigger sticks later on maybe, or maybe just swap nozzles if I max these out for now. I think Iam just going to stay Vgt for now eventho it's more money, I tried calling Barder I would have probably ordered one of his already but didn't get an answer yet.

I have read some stuff on MTW but looks like it would be a wait there and I need one ASAP.

I haven't check into the KC yet, but loos from that video they're stuff is Definitely working!!

peixinho

Reaction score
Thanks guys, Iam Deffinately going atleast stage3 or bigger.. As I plan on bigger sticks later on maybe, or maybe just swap nozzles if I max these out for now.

Well MTW has the biggest turbo out there right now... it is a stage 4 vgt.

I know everyone has their own opinions but there is a limit on how big to go with vgt at this point. What I mean by that is if I had 350/150s I would not be looking to go the vgt route. I would go with a large non-vgt and nitrous... or compounds.

You don't want to have to buy a turbo twice so I just thought i would throw it out there for consideration.

How big of injectors do you plan on going?
What are your HP goals?

190s and a stage 3 turbo should get your around 600hp

Mach5customs

Reaction score
Barder stage 3 is the way to go. I just bought a stage 2 and couldn't be happier. I'm real surprised James hasn't got back to you. I left a message with him and heard back in about a hour. I ordered my turbo and got it in about 3 days.

Vizsla

Reaction score
Big vgt turbos are a lot of fun. As long as you like the exponential affect when the boost kicks in. Some people love it and some people hate it.

Going non-vgt will have more of a linear power band (not so exponential)

For 190s I would definitely go with a stage 3 turbo...

These are the most popular out there right now

KC Turbos
Barder Turbos
MTW Turbo

Here is a video of 175/75 and a KC stage 3 vgt turbo

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=a***a6p0pxA

You are KC Turbos, kinda seems like non-vendor pimping...., and nice video of your truck. OP, I don't even think KC sells turbos, or is actually a business that can, wait for Barder to call you back.

loboost

Reaction score
You are KC Turbos, kinda seems like non-vendor pimping...., and nice video of your truck. OP, I don't even think KC sells turbos, or is actually a business that can, wait for Barder to call you back.

Sounds like a good reason noone can ever get a straight answer as to who kc turbo exactly is...

Op...barder gets my vote

sent while driving recklessly

Last edited:

STR8LINE

Reaction score
I have tried calling James all day, even left a message. Iam Ready to order somthing, I'm tryin to wait to hear back from him before I do anything .. Iam in a hurry tho!!

Had More bad luck today, got the cobra on the road was still running hot .. Run head gasket check, and sure enough exhaust in coolant.. So needless to say it got parked. I got my buddy's jeep for now.

loboost

Reaction score
James is worth the wait if its at all possible

sent while driving recklessly

Breaking Habits

Reaction score
We have 68VGTS in stock that ship the same day. Either with a cast wheel or a billet 6 blade or 11 blade wheel.. Why wait when you can get your product shipped today?

EDIT: We've also been selling these turbos for over 3 years with great results. No worries..

Latest posts

Members online