Stock turbo with 238/100s

bigfords

Reaction score
Ok. I should find out some time this week how the fuel pressure holds. I'm in the middle of putting my RR on now. Hoping it holds descent.

bigfords

Reaction score
Well, I only WOT'd it a couple times out on the highway so far, but it looks like the pressure holds good now in my Economy/DD tune, but still drops fairly hard on the "All Out" tune.

I would eventually like to do a dual stock fuel pump set-up, but I think I may want to try a sump first...mainly for a little education on what fuel pressure will do.

Can anyone tell me how reliable the sumps are for not leaking and such? I don't really do any off-roading or anything so I don't think I would damage it too easily. I was looking at Irate's.

Chvyrkr

Reaction score
I think as long as it's installed correctly it'll be fine.

Seen sumps on plenty of other applications that didn't leak so, don't know why a truck would be different.

bigfords

Reaction score
Who all sells them other than Irate? It doesn't even look like you need to drop the tank which would be sweet.

V-Ref

Reaction score
I'm a big fan of sumps. My stocker SD pump has held pressure when everyone said it wouldn't....I think a large part has s to do with the sump providing positive head pressure to the pump.

I used a sump from Truck Source Diesel and used TA-31 for RTV. Not a drop. There's even a small circle on the tank telling where to install it :)

bigfords

Reaction score
I'm a big fan of sumps. My stocker SD pump has held pressure when everyone said it wouldn't....I think a large part has s to do with the sump providing positive head pressure to the pump.

I used a sump from Truck Source Diesel and used TA-31 for RTV. Not a drop. There's even a small circle on the tank telling where to install it :)

That is pretty surprising, especially with 400/200s. That's what I'm hoping for too though, if I don't have to put double pumps on I won't.
I think I would rather put a sump in than drop the tank again to put a 5/8 straw in. You think I should run 5/8 line to the pump then?

Yeah that TA-31 is great stuff, it amazes me what that stuff will seal up.

TyCorr

Reaction score

Absolutely! That has to make a pretty big difference.

How much do you demand of hour setup? I mean, if you're using 300hp to toole around. Im not saying you dont use your truck im just wondering how.hard you push it?

V-Ref

Reaction score
5/8 to the Irate fuel system is what's on my truck...seems to work pretty good... used the factory pick-up as my return...bent it so it didn't dump right back on top of the sump...I mounted my sump right on the little circle dimple on the bottom of our tanks...its right under the factory pick-up tube location.

Sent from my SGH-I747M using Tapatalk

bigfords

Reaction score
You think it would be a problem if I mounted the sump directly under the factory pick-up location without moving the pick-up foot? I have the ITP intake mods, which already has the bent return.
On second thought, with that 3" hole in the tank, I bet I can get up in there and pull that foot off...

V-Ref

Reaction score
Absolutely! That has to make a pretty big difference.

How much do you demand of hour setup? I mean, if you're using 300hp to toole around. Im not saying you dont use your truck im just wondering how.hard you push it?

Good question.

There's a couple vids in the classifieds where I posted my S467.7 FMW for sale...there's a fuel pressure gauge in the videos.

It's made enough power to zip through a South Bend ConFE single disc clutch. When I had a PTE 76mm billet turbo on there, I could peg a 60 psi boost gauge with it.

But 90% of the time it's my DD...tow/econ tune...I try and keep it under 40 psi :)....the other 10%....:)

V-Ref

Reaction score
You think it would be a problem if I mounted the sump directly under the factory pick-up location without moving the pick-up foot? I have the ITP intake mods, which already has the bent return.
On second thought, with that 3" hole in the tank, I bet I can get up in there and pull that foot off...

Probably not. I was concerned with introducing aerated/heated full directly above the sump supply...so it got a bend pushing all the fuel returning from the motor towards the back 1/3rd of the tank. Do the "hutch" trim on that vent line while your in there.

TyCorr

Reaction score
I might be stupid here but how likely would the return be to get picked up by the sump? Air would be trying to go up immediately. Hotter fuel would be thinner and would want to "sheet" across.the top of the colder fuel. Maybe.

You guys have me contplating a sump now :doh:

My 5/8 straw has been good to me, for sure. Ive ran mine down where there is 3 gal of fuel.left. In fact last fill it took 34gal. When I modded my tank it was empty. Literally, nothing in it. I put exactly 4 gal in a can and got it to start. Put 35 gal in on top of that. So 38gal tank and filling the neck is pretty close to.39 gal.

mandkole

Reaction score
Ive gotten low enough to put 34-35 gallons in mine (below 1/4 tank), but when it gets that low the fuel pressure begins to twitch on the gauge caused by fuel movement in the tank away from straw (on accel or going up hill). You could tell right away the tank was getting very empty and the straw's volume easily affects pressure.

on edit, warm return fuel is a fact of life and it just mixes with the cold fuel. In working on a fuel system project with PACCAR engineering (Kenworth and PB) they expected their fuel system temps to be as high as 160-175F on Cummins or MX applications when approaching empty tanks. Watch the condensation on cold environments.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Members online