Stock zf6 clutch limits

02BigD

Reaction score
Basic chip from 2006 on the 7.3 when it was a manual, would cause the stock clutch to slip, greater than 3/4 throttle. Couldn't have been any more than 240 or so to the wheels.

Purdue_stroker

Reaction score
Mine lasted 40,000 miles while tuned with alot of towing and hardly ever slipped! The the throw out bearing went bye bye

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

reilly8282

Reaction score
I hate to throw this off topic but while all the 6.0 guys with zf-6's are here. What fluids are you running? How many quarts will it take. Thanks

Mdub707

Reaction score
I asked the same question (what will it hold) for a buddy of mine that had bought an 06 6.0 with the ZF6. Everyone told me they were slipping the clutch in 100 miles with Innovatives Extreme tuning. He ended up ordering it anyways and said he'd just get a clutch if/when it slipped. That was like 3 years ago and when he sold it over the summer it was still holding up just fine, but I wouldn't count on it. Sounds like aggressive tuning will cause them to slip, though that wasn't our experience.

bigaF250

Reaction score
I'm thinking that the clutch in the 7.3 zf6 and the 6.0 are different cause that is where I have seen the mix up. But I'm going at it like your buddy did. If it slips I'll throw a clutch at it

HaysKSFirefighter

Reaction score
Mine will slip in the race tune or when towing heavy. I've got a SB single in my garage waiting to go in. I put amsoil manual trans lube in mine and I'm quite pleased. It runs real smooth with that. My throw out bearing is shot though after 30k tunes miles with quite a bit of towing. Clutch is still kicking though.

Purdue_stroker

Reaction score
Mine will slip in the race tune or when towing heavy. I've got a SB single in my garage waiting to go in. I put amsoil manual trans lube in mine and I'm quite pleased. It runs real smooth with that. My throw out bearing is shot though after 30k tunes miles with quite a bit of towing. Clutch is still kicking though.

That's what happened to mine. The clutch was still holding strong with 110,000 miles on the truck 30-40k tuned. And the throw out bearing went out. I went ahead and threw a dual disc in it then since I was gonna have it out. 160k on the truck pushin 600-650hp and the DD hasn't slipped once. Even hooked to a sled

Donovan

Reaction score
I have the stock clutch in my truck and I have an intake, full exhaust and run the extreme race tune from innocative diesel and my clutch has only slipped on me one time. My roommate runs the same set up and he had to replace his clutch almost immediately after putting the tune on his truck. I honestly think it all just depends on the condition the stock clutch is in whenever you decide to go throwing parts at it.

bigaF250

Reaction score
Bringing back a dead horse here but finally grabbed a tuner and played with the truck. I see a clutch in the near future. It does fine from a rolling start but slipped in almost every gear from a dig and slammin gears hard. This clutch hates me haha. Waitin for it to go boom so I have an excuse to pull the cab and have some fun

nasty6.6

Reaction score
So i read this thread last night and I was like damn my clutch has held up pretty good. Headed to a job this morning and getting on the loop i put it in forth and give it a little gas, then the rpms jump from 1300 to 3000 in 1/2 a second... Looks like i shouldnt read these threads lol

Latest posts

Members online