StreetMax & 2015 HPFP

maxxedout

Reaction score
Two weeks ago, I installed a StreetMax turbo from Midwest Diesel & Auto and Ford 2015 HPFP on my 2012 F350. I've put about 600 miles on the setup so far, and I am VERY impressed. For the longest time, I couldn't decide which turbo to go with, but I'm definitely happy with the 64mm/StreetMax.

Anyone who is concerned about a 64mm being "too big" has absolutely nothing to worry about. My driving is about a 50/50 mix of city and highway, and I have ZERO complaints about how the truck drives with the StreetMax. Whether it's accelerating from a dead stop, or getting on the throttle to pass or merge, the turbo is right there. My truck had a 2012 turbo with a Wicked Wheel II, so yes, I could tell there was a difference, but the spool up is so close to stock that I don't even notice it anymore. Even with the impressive spool up, it's obvious this turbo moves A LOT more air. Before, you could really feel where the truck stopped building power and "flat lined" on acceleration... That's completely gone now; the truck has PLENTY of power throughout the entire RPM range. Just saying "I'm impressed" doesn't say enough about how much better the truck drives.

I had a lot of questions about the turbo before purchasing it, and I just want to thank everyone on here for their help and input. I especially want to thank Morgan @ Midwest Diesel for putting up with all my questions... I'm not an easy person to please, but the customer service from Morgan has been fantastic. Even after I installed the turbo, Morgan still took the time to answer my questions, and that kind of service is hard to find. Anyone in the market for a turbo kit should really take a close look at the StreetMax... I'm definitely happy with mine!

Attachments

• download.jpg
    download.jpg
    210.4 KB · Views: 181
  • download5.jpg
    download5.jpg
    210.4 KB · Views: 164
  • download4.jpg
    download4.jpg
    221 KB · Views: 174
  • download3.jpg
    download3.jpg
    166.4 KB · Views: 159
  • download2.jpg
    download2.jpg
    168.1 KB · Views: 176

maxxedout

Reaction score
I accidently attached on picture twice, and left out one that I wanted... Here's a picture of the stock 2012 turbo compared to the StreetMax.

Attachments

• download6.jpg
    download6.jpg
    219.6 KB · Views: 250

maxxedout

Reaction score
Here's what the factory compressor wheel looks like...

Attachments

• 20150206_222914.jpg
    20150206_222914.jpg
    623.2 KB · Views: 152
  • 20150206_222902.jpg
    20150206_222902.jpg
    778.9 KB · Views: 132

redwhitenblue

Reaction score
What tune are you running, HS or SCT? How are your EGT's while towing? How is the shifting?

This seems like the perfect street/tow setup to me. I bet the IATs are way more under control with a more efficient compressor like that.

maxxedout

Reaction score
How was the install of the pump and the turbo? Any special tools needed for the pump? And did Morgan sell you the 15 pump kit and everything to do the job?

I work for a Ford dealer, so that's where I got the pump... I think Morgan sells the pumps too though.

Other than the pump itself, there are a couple lines and gaskets I would recommend changing.

The install was pretty straightforward, but the pump is kind of a pain to get at. Technically, you're supposed to remove the cooling fan to gain access to the front of the engine, but I don't have a fan clutch tool..... As long as you're careful, you can unbolt the mounting plate for the fan, and set the whole assembly aside. That will give you just enough room to work. If I had to do it again, I would go buy a fan clutch tool though.

The turbo wasn't that bad either... Coming apart, the worst part about it was getting all the clamps loose. The 4" downpipe took some time to get right, but I've heard that's typical on these trucks.

To do the turbo AND pump, give yourself a solid day to get it done.

Last edited:

maxxedout

Reaction score
What tune are you running, HS or SCT? How are your EGT's while towing? How is the shifting?

This seems like the perfect street/tow setup to me. I bet the IATs are way more under control with a more efficient compressor like that.

I'm running an H&S file with some tweaks that helped the spool up, etc. EGT's are up a very small amount while cruising, but they stay MUCH cooler at WOT. I can actually keep my foot in it on the "Performance" setting, and not hit the EGT defuel. I haven't towed with it yet, but I have no concerns about how it will perform. I'll report back on the tuning once it's completely dialed in.

The truck ran decent on just standard H&S files, but having the files optimized for the 2015-style turbo definitely helped a lot.

maxxedout

Reaction score
Mileage and noise of turbo on the road from cab. Thanks

Mileage seems to be close to what it was on the H&S box tunes. I haven't had the chance to hand calculate it because I've been using the remote start A LOT, and that throws the mileage off.....

Interior noise isn't bad by any means. You can definitely hear the turbo quite a bit more, but that's a plus in my opinion. Right now, I'm running a S&B intake with the lid off, but I'm going to switch to a more "free flowing" intake sooner or later.

90% or more of my driving is just commuting back and forth to work, and I'm honestly impressed with the drivability. There's a few more things I want to try with the tuning, so I'm just waiting on new files at the moment.

maxxedout

Reaction score
Do you have any knowledge on the max hp the 15 hpfp puts out compared to the 500 the 14s put out

Personally, I do not have any first-hand knowledge of what the 2015 pumps are capable of. I know Morgan @ Midwest Diesel & Auto has been doing a lot of testing, so he'd be the one to ask if you want concrete data, etc.

The general consensus is that the 2015 pump is good for a reliable 550 or so horsepower worth of fuel, but I haven't had my truck on a dyno, so I can't tell you where I'm at for sure. My goal was never to "max out" the turbo or HPFP... I wanted more power, but I wanted to leave enough on the table that none of the components are pushed to their absolute limit.

Latest posts

Members online