StreetMaxR 65.5 vs MDP budget s366

15Platinum67

Reaction score
Looking to buy an aftermarket turbo for my 2015 wanted some input on best option currently running ******** tunes.
Thanks

Radioflyer

Reaction score
What are you using the truck for and what is your end goal for the truck?

From driving both Midwest's street max 64mm and H&S's kit, they both drive very well on stock fuel. The non vgt turbo's have that old school diesel sound and come on hard. The 64mm street maxx from midwest straight rips with good tuning on stock fuel. I'm sure the 65.5 would just be even better.

Each different turbo has it's own benefits and down falls. Example, with staying VGT, you keep your turbo brake while going non VGT you lose it. BUT you can add an exahust brake later to gain that aspect back. Just cost's more $$$.

Last edited:

15Platinum67

Reaction score
I use the truck as a daily driver I do quite a bit of towing looking to get a little more power out of it my goal is close too the 600 number

Dzchey21

Reaction score
For your goals I think you would be better with the street max style charger. Nothing wrong with a non vgt but for towing and daily driving the vgt works very well.

Sportchassis06

Reaction score
I was thinking the same for my '15,going w the Midwest Strretmax R,but wo fuel system upgraded ,what is to gain ?Drivebility?Feel of the way the truck drives?I was under the assumption that the Streetmax is a better upgrade for a '11 thru '14 models?Please advise

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

gcowart140

Reaction score
Iv got the mpd budget kit and I'm very very happy with it. Im pulling my camper tomorrow for the first time with it ill report back

Reaction score
On a 2015 back to back went from 540 to 599hp with just a turbo swap on Kory Willis dyno. Stock fuel. Customer is super happy. 60hp gain is great on a 2015. Pump had no fuel left and there was ZERO smoke out the tail. Gains are much larger on a 2011-14. But the egt and hp gain on a 2015+ is well worth the $1999 for a drop in charger that retains ALL the oem functions. Plus it just sounds so good.

https://youtu.be/9xNP_lx7eiM

Plus they will 100% out drive and out tow a s366 as far as usable power and street manners.

maxxedout

Reaction score
I spent months researching turbos and weighing all the different options, and I ended up going with the StreetMax from Midwest. My turbo is the older 64 mm version, but if I were to do it all over again, I would definitely go for the 65.5 mm. In fact, if I keep my truck long enough, I'll upgrade to the 65.5 eventually.

My truck is a 2012 with a 2015 HPFP, and in my opinion, the StreetMax is very good match for how much fuel the 2015 HPFP can supply. Everything just seems balanced/in check, and the truck performs very well. A lot of my driving is stop and go, and that's one reason I went with a VGT turbo. Under light acceleration, the truck performs similar to a stock 2015/2016, so it's VERY driveable. Lag is minimal, the power comes in smoothly, and it's just comfortable to drive. Now, under heavy acceleration or WOT, the truck really moves. It's a night and day difference compared to a tune-only truck. The turbo moves enough air to stay pretty clean even on an aggressive tune. Towing is also great with this turbo. Occasionally, I pull a 7,000 # horse trailer, and the truck performs flawlessly.

I've put about 25K on the turbo so far, and I have no complaints. Again, if I were to do it all over again, I'd definitely stick with Midwest. I'm picky and I ask a lot of questions, but Morgan @ Midwest was VERY helpful with the entire process. Plus, the tunes he offers are right on for the turbo.

Cheap6.7

Reaction score
I spent months researching turbos and weighing all the different options, and I ended up going with the StreetMax from Midwest. My turbo is the older 64 mm version, but if I were to do it all over again, I would definitely go for the 65.5 mm. In fact, if I keep my truck long enough, I'll upgrade to the 65.5 eventually.

My truck is a 2012 with a 2015 HPFP, and in my opinion, the StreetMax is very good match for how much fuel the 2015 HPFP can supply. Everything just seems balanced/in check, and the truck performs very well. A lot of my driving is stop and go, and that's one reason I went with a VGT turbo. Under light acceleration, the truck performs similar to a stock 2015/2016, so it's VERY driveable. Lag is minimal, the power comes in smoothly, and it's just comfortable to drive. Now, under heavy acceleration or WOT, the truck really moves. It's a night and day difference compared to a tune-only truck. The turbo moves enough air to stay pretty clean even on an aggressive tune. Towing is also great with this turbo. Occasionally, I pull a 7,000 # horse trailer, and the truck performs flawlessly.

I've put about 25K on the turbo so far, and I have no complaints. Again, if I were to do it all over again, I'd definitely stick with Midwest. I'm picky and I ask a lot of questions, but Morgan @ Midwest was VERY helpful with the entire process. Plus, the tunes he offers are right on for the turbo.

Good info.

oscard0215

Reaction score
On a 2015 back to back went from 540 to 599hp with just a turbo swap on Kory Willis dyno. Stock fuel. Customer is super happy. 60hp gain is great on a 2015. Pump had no fuel left and there was ZERO smoke out the tail. Gains are much larger on a 2011-14. But the egt and hp gain on a 2015+ is well worth the $1999 for a drop in charger that retains ALL the oem functions. Plus it just sounds so good.

Plus they will 100% out drive and out tow a s366 as far as usable power and street manners.

damm that sounds good.. what other mods on this truck? is it a 15?

Dzchey21

Reaction score

This sums up my experience very similar. I tow a little heavier than that with no issues and I am at 6000 feet of elevation. Sure its more laggy then a 2011-14 turbo but nothing unacceptable. My truck makes 3-4 psi at 1250 rpm and 12+ at 1500 rpm and by 1600 rpm I can make 20 psi if I do it just right. Power is smooth and tows awesome. My truck is hooked to a trailer at least once a week but I also drive it to work every day. Super happy with the results. Mine is an older 64mm as well.

15Platinum67

Reaction score
Thanks for the info guys seems like everyone is leaning towards the streetmaxR I'll be pulling the trigger on it

SVTDiesel

Reaction score
Is the streetmax R 65.5 a drop in turbo without changing anything else on a 2016? I understand fuel should be done for full benefits, but not at this time. Thanks!

Sportchassis06

Reaction score

The question is,will my ******* tunes need to be modified with this on my '15?

BIG JUICE

Reaction score

Got a dyno graph of this? Sounds perfect, like to see power under curve and how much the bigger wheel moves the curve. I e spool.

Latest posts

Members online