Stuck a rear brake

Derkperk

Reaction score
So on the way home from a long weekend trip, I realized I had a rear brake sticking. With only a few miles to get home I rode it out. The drivers rear was smoking pretty good when I made it in.
So my question is, how deep do I have to go with this? The rotor looks okay, haven't pulled the pads yet. Do I swap the caliper? Clean and lube it up? New rotor and pads? Any advice is appreciated.

HOOV3R

Reaction score
If you didn't go too far, I'd just throw a reman caliper w/ slide assembly and a new set of pads on.

That is if the caliper itself stuck, and the slide pins didn't lock up.

1BD9D7

Reaction score
I've only put 2000-3000 miles on my truck so far. I noticed a rear brake was messed up and needed new rotor, caliper, and I put new pads on the rear. The other night had front right lock up, smoking, and I left it overnight, towed it home the next day. I replaced with reman caliper, rotor seems fine, put new pads on the front. Kinda hoping my brakes are done f'n up for awhile but not too confident in them. After driving only 5 miles or so the rotors often are too hot to touch, not sure why that is... Makes me think something is still wrong.

And btw I have had all four corners off, my slides were not frozen at all. I cleaned them and put new synthetic brake grease there but the slides have not been the problem with mine.

Mdub707

Reaction score
My problem was rarely with the slides, usually my pistons cracked and turned into an oval shape and wouldn't recede into the caliper.

I lube my slide pins seasonally now, and I also paint any new caliper going on my truck, it seems to help a ton.

You can get two new calipers with brackets from Advanced Auto for about $75 or less. Buy them online, do an in store pick up and use the promotional code TRT41. It will get you $40 off any order over $100. They're about $55 a piece new, total is $110 (not including core), minus the $40 coupon and you've got two new calipers for $70. Not even worth messing with the old ones IMO.

Derkperk

Reaction score
Well, I ended up replacing the whole works. Picked up a ford reman from napa along with pads and rotor. Noticed the axle seal was leakin so we replaced that while in there.
I'm wondering if I need to flush my brake fluid, thinking there is moisture in there. Being I park the truck over winter, I may need to be a little more preventative.

Jomax

Reaction score
I've had bad luck with napa eclipse calipers. Would have one side brake harder, did this on 3 different trucks. Went Back To Using Ford calipers.

Sent from my SM-N900V using Tapatalk

Mdub707

Reaction score
I've used Ford, Napa, Autozone and Advanced Auto and none of them have been any better than the others. The Ford ones lasted the shortest amount of time (calipers that came on the truck from the factory).

Derkperk

Reaction score
I figured they are all rebuilt in just a couple facilities and get boxed differently. I've got 73,xxx on the truck in my SIG.

BS Hauler

Reaction score
What is so different about our Ford trucks brakes that makes them so problematic verses the other brands. Is it the fluid or what. Our chevy trucks at work never have these kind of problems.