Studded tune on non studded trucks

dEmOnpwrstrk

Reaction score
Just Google radiator cap failure powerstroke! It's all over the internet

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G891A using Tapatalk

Reaction score
Just Google radiator cap failure powerstroke! It's all over the internet

Congrats, you watched a Powerstrokehelp video and now you're an expert 6.0 mechanic.

The stock caps are junk, everyone knows this. And because they're junk they will allow coolant to blow out under 16 psi, new cap won't. But if the headgaskets/egr cooler are smoked it's not going to matter.

dEmOnpwrstrk

Reaction score
I'm no expert smart ass... just here to help. The title of this thread is for a non studded 6.0l. If this guy didn't know bout the lil things then why not share

sootie

Reaction score
I'm no expert smart ass... just here to help. The title of this thread is for a non studded 6.0l. If this guy didn't know bout the lil things then why not share

Please stop "helping"

Mdub707

Reaction score
I blew headgaskets several times on tunes only. I learned if I kept my tunes mild (street tune or less) I was fine. But I always ended up loading in an extreme tune of some type (even those advertised as head stud safe) and blew gaskets. Hell some guys blow gaskets on stock trucks. Any time you add power via tuning you're increasing the risk. There is no safe or unsafe, it's a risk no matter what.

shmoozer

Reaction score

And learn a little grammar and proper spelling. Makes reading your posts a whole lot easier.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Reaction score
I feel bad for the poor soul who stumbles across this thread and thinks if he has a new drugs cap he is free and clear of blowing headgaskets lol. My question wasn't being used if I could or couldn't obviously the tuner knows what he is doing when he tells us to do or don't. More intended to see what they are changing to make them say safe or not safe. Hence why I asked what parameters are changed. And thank you guys who responded seriously. And just because a truck isn't studded doesn't mean owner of the truck is clueless, maybe I like to live life on the edge lol.

samgoto96

Reaction score
The amount of timing in the tuning plays a lot into how much cylinder pressure is created and hence if you're more or less likely to lift your heads. That is the main reason that we use Tyrant tuning on all Ford trucks is because he uses as little timing as possible to still make the power. So far running Tyrant tuning we have only had one set of head gadgets fail. And I think it actually came down to head problems because both of them were cracked and had to get replaced.

Sent from my XT1080 using Tapatalk

Reaction score
I figured it timing advancements had a big play in it. I'm itching to get tsd's spd but know I probably shouldn't until I've got funds set aside for new headgaskets and other work I want.

Reaction score
Powerstroke Help guy knows his **** cmon guys

I think his process for getting trucks to hold up to endless abuse in a work environment is pretty good. His idea of 6.0 go fast and ours are a bit different.

That said, I'll give my theory on 6.0s:

The gasket is the failure point but not the cause. These heads aren't flat from the factory. Like .003-.006 not flat. Not a big deal at that time because the head bolts are pulling head and block together. Now throw a hundred thousand miles worth of head cycles at it and few overheats from failed EGR coolers and the heads are now around .010 warped. Depending on how it's driven the gasket will hold even at that point.

Now when you add in the higher cylinder pressures from tuning it's going to push that gasket even harder. Some trucks can handle a bunch, some you look at them wrong and they go. All depends on how much the heads are warped. If you have repeat head gasket failure either the heads aren't being machined correctly or the block prep is in correct.

Reaction score
I think his process for getting trucks to hold up to endless abuse in a work environment is pretty good. His idea of 6.0 go fast and ours are a bit different.

That said, I'll give my theory on 6.0s:

The gasket is the failure point but not the cause. These heads aren't flat from the factory. Like .003-.006 not flat. Not a big deal at that time because the head bolts are pulling head and block together. Now throw a hundred thousand miles worth of head cycles at it and few overheats from failed EGR coolers and the heads are now around .010 warped. Depending on how it's driven the gasket will hold even at that point.

Now when you add in the higher cylinder pressures from tuning it's going to push that gasket even harder. Some trucks can handle a bunch, some you look at them wrong and they go. All depends on how much the heads are warped. If you have repeat head gasket failure either the heads aren't being machined correctly or the block prep is in correct.

I know the questions been asked a hundred times but even with the heads being warped as long as it isn't already gone how do you feel about just studding the factory gasket without separating the heads? I know it's seems silly not to do gaskets if you are doing studs but studs can be done in truck fairly easy it seems. Why separate and disrupt a gasket that has lasted 100,000 miles. Why not multiply the clamping force and prevent it from lifting before it does?

samgoto96

Reaction score
We have never had a gasket failure doing it one stud at a time on our own vehicles... As for customers Vehicles I'm not willing to take that chance and we pull the heads and get them decked.

Sent from my XT1080 using Tapatalk

Reaction score
I know the questions been asked a hundred times but even with the heads being warped as long as it isn't already gone how do you feel about just studding the factory gasket without separating the heads? I know it's seems silly not to do gaskets if you are doing studs but studs can be done in truck fairly easy it seems. Why separate and disrupt a gasket that has lasted 100,000 miles. Why not multiply the clamping force and prevent it from lifting before it does?

Studs add about 10% more clamping force.

Powerstroke214

Reaction score
On topic, Matt @GH sent me a studded file when I asked for revisions. I asked him if it'd be safe to run it and he said it'd be dependent on the driver, making a WOT pass to 140 would do it in but should be fine.

If you're planning to stud it, I wouldn't hesitate to do it

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Latest posts

Members online