Sub help for '08

bpb424

Reaction score
I'm looking for some help to get some boom-booms in my truck.
I originally purchased this box to go under my rear sets and I hated it.

b527e333.jpg

I blew 3 shallow mounts in 2 wks. Plus the sound was awful.
I've heard decent things about subs in the center console but I have no idea how to make a box for that nor do I know anyone making box's for them.

The box pictured above is for two 10's I thought about trying to open those up to 13.5 for 2 jl 13tw5's but I don't know how much I like that idea either.

I have the rear power slider too which sucks....

I'm kinda thinking center console but again, who makes a box for it (other than the stealth box) and what sub would I use?

powerstrokin15

Reaction score
I have my JL13tw5 behind the seat in a custom box, with amp back there as well. sounds awesome. more than enough bass to override my speakers but sounds great when down some. I wouldn't buy another system. I have the rear slider as well. SPL2K makes an awesome box for behind out seared for the 13.5 with a slider

Eric@HolderdownPerformance

jdc753

Reaction score
If you are looking to buy something then Eric has the right idea above with an SPL2k box (www.spl2k.com)

There is some company that was making center console boxes on ebay a while back, otherwise I think JL is your only option unless you make your own. Center console is about the only option where you can run something other than a shallow mount sub as well, but the 13TW5 is really a quality piece, especially for shallow subs.

bpb424

Reaction score
If you are looking to buy something then Eric has the right idea above with an SPL2k box (www.spl2k.com)

There is some company that was making center console boxes on ebay a while back, otherwise I think JL is your only option unless you make your own. Center console is about the only option where you can run something other than a shallow mount sub as well, but the 13TW5 is really a quality piece, especially for shallow subs.

would i get more bass from a center console sub with a 10w3 or a 13tw5 behind the seat?

jdc753

Reaction score
For 90% of the people out there a single 13tw5 behind the seat will be plenty and sound great, and honestly what I would recommend for most as long as it is in their budget.

Center consoles open up a ton of options for subwoofer selection, but first would be if it is going to be a full 1 off center console build, or would it be a stealth box style build into a factor 08 console.

I have a single 12" sub in my 08 center console and I love it since it brings the bass up front and makes it better tuning wise for a good sound quality oriented system. For my box I have 1ft^3 internal space, and at least 7.5" of mounting depth while maintaining 4" of storage space in the top side. But this is going to require some custom fabricating work to build the box and get it into the console itself.

This is the one I had seen posted over on PSN from ebay, pretty similar to what I did for my console, http://www.ebay.com/itm/08-09-2010-...LE-SUB-BOX-F-250-350-/350439408913#vi-content

Unbroken on here runs a single 10w6 in his center console and is quite pleased with it. Pretty much anyone you talk to who has run a center console or up front setup will never go back to anything but after running it. However it is a bit more involved to do right and usually not for someone who is looking to get just a bumpin system for a couple grand or less.

jdc753

Reaction score
Mine doesn't rattle much unless I REALLY crank it up, you will feel it in the seats more.

But also I don't have any deadener applied to the front panel/cupholders, and I don't have any sort of a rubber piece laid into the bottom of the cupholders. Doing that I think would eliminate all rattles, so my screw drivers or pens wouldn't rattle against the radio remote any more. Oh and it helps making the box/mounting beefy/structurally stiff, with my 25lb subwoofer loaded into the console the entire thing weighs in at 78lbs instead of the 10lbs or so it was before I built the box.

The only thing you get is some vibrations (non audible) directly into the seats since the console shares mounting locations, but this can be fixed or reduced too. But that is just another thing on my to do list.

bpb424

Reaction score
For 90% of the people out there a single 13tw5 behind the seat will be plenty and sound great, and honestly what I would recommend for most as long as it is in their budget.

Center consoles open up a ton of options for subwoofer selection, but first would be if it is going to be a full 1 off center console build, or would it be a stealth box style build into a factor 08 console.

I have a single 12" sub in my 08 center console and I love it since it brings the bass up front and makes it better tuning wise for a good sound quality oriented system. For my box I have 1ft^3 internal space, and at least 7.5" of mounting depth while maintaining 4" of storage space in the top side. But this is going to require some custom fabricating work to build the box and get it into the console itself.

This is the one I had seen posted over on PSN from ebay, pretty similar to what I did for my console, http://www.ebay.com/itm/08-09-2010-...LE-SUB-BOX-F-250-350-/350439408913#vi-content

Unbroken on here runs a single 10w6 in his center console and is quite pleased with it. Pretty much anyone you talk to who has run a center console or up front setup will never go back to anything but after running it. However it is a bit more involved to do right and usually not for someone who is looking to get just a bumpin system for a couple grand or less.

Thanks for the link.
I really think I wanna go that route.
I don't keep much in my center console anyway, just junk. I just don't think I can get the sound I'm looking for w/ shallow mount subs.

jdc753

Reaction score
Glad it helps ya, if you want I can send you the pics from mine too and a shop should easily be able to duplicate it. You'll still be limited to a small sealed box so you wont get wild crazy party bass but cn still do really well

bpb424

Reaction score
Glad it helps ya, if you want I can send you the pics from mine too and a shop should easily be able to duplicate it. You'll still be limited to a small sealed box so you wont get wild crazy party bass but cn still do really well

that'd be great! thanks!

baddkarmaracing

Reaction score
d8b721d4-9d60-e53a.jpg

2 10" Rockford fosgate p1's behind the seat, sounded amazing untill one of my friends put a hole in one. Now I have 2 kicker cvr's and they are even better. Amps are under the seat.

jdgleason

Reaction score
Anything available for underneath the center seat in the front? I don't have the big console, I have a bench. I'd like to get somethin nice up front but unless I could pack it under that seat I don't see it happening.

PTSUPERD

Reaction score
I realize it is slightly different behind the seat of an 08...but I bet this could be done.

Two ID 8's in a ported box. It sounds great. Plenty of bass.

2011-01-13_21-56-36_965.jpg

baddkarmaracing

Reaction score
Anything available for underneath the center seat in the front? I don't have the big console, I have a bench. I'd like to get somethin nice up front but unless I could pack it under that seat I don't see it happening.

Are you set on going under the seat JD? If you are you should be able to take it to any good audio shop and have them build a box/seat combo but IMO you should put it behind the seat like my setup

PTSUPERD

Reaction score
Didn't realize you could run it up that high on the wall in the rear... My bad! Either way I didn't want to sacrifice all the space in the rear. I only want one sub and I like the idea of the bass being further forward.

I gotcha buddy.

Latest posts