Summer Project Wrap-Up: Updates and Photos

Austen

Reaction score
DSC_3625_zps6a4375f0.png

In between work and some free time on the weekends, I had an enjoyable spring and summer working on project Super Duty and taking care of a few things that needed to be done as well as performing some upgrades as well. I figured now would be good time to share those updates and post some corresponding photos!

Well let's get to it.

d4d9a5a01938d3812511067e95fc5a10ebacb1_zps562622cb.png

HNC Bumper
DSC_3601_zpsffe0c655.png

The most notable update is a new rear offroad bumper. It bugged me having the "hit and miss setup" with a nice one on the front and a stocker on the back. After several months of research and consideration, it was apparent I had found the right manufacture when I came across Hard Notched Customs, and independent shop based out of Vancouver WA. When I had it narrowed down to one or two other brands, I quickly found out that you could not have one "special ordered" or have any personal customization done. Including some poor customer service, I decided to spend a little more time researching as these bumpers are pricy and wanted to make sure I got the right thing.

FirstBumperPic3_zps4d04667b.jpg

Fortunately I did not pull the trigger too soon or I would have not found HNC. Their motto basically goes "You create the design; we build it." Joel and Matt were great to work with, will send you updates along the way during each stage of the build process as shown above. They offer competitive pricing and include rear auxiliary lights, license plates lights with the option to choose your finish type- things that aren't always offered with other manufactures.
Taking their standard SD rear bumper as template, I told them I wanted additional protection/coverage around the corners of the truck.

I was truly blown away when I saw it as it exceeded my expectations by far. I recommend them highly!
DSC_3651_zps24bd2d1d.png

DSC_3614_zps5cb12b9d.png

DSC_3677_zps547f8f1b.png

DSC_3679_zpsf37252dc.png

DSC_3654_zpsdf68fc39.png

DSC_3659_zps295a9ab7.png

DSC_3655_zps9076c801.png

DSC_3580_zpsd07a2a03.jpg

2008-2012 Tailgate
This was an unplanned mod and something that I was not thrilled about having to buy at first, but ended up turning out to be a chance to upgrade to the new style which so it turned out to be a win in the end.

The Back Story:
A little over a month ago while parking in a restaurant parking lot, I backed into a spot that had a big branch right behind the tailgate which ended up putting a huge dent in it. I made the mistake of leaving the truck in reverse after I shut it off- something that I've never done 99.9% of the time owning standard transmission vehicles all my life. I typically always put them back into first after parking. The thing with the ZF6 is that reverse is all the way to the left and up, so it can actually appear at a very quick glance that you're in 1st gear when in reality it's in reverse. Well, you can pretty much guess what happened when I got back in the truck and let the clutch out thinking it was in 1st. Won't make that mistake again!
DSC_3633_zpsefa12744.jpg

DSC_3614_zps5cb12b9d.png

Motorsport Tech BORA Wheel Spacers
For one who's obsessed about achieving his own particular stance, I called up my bud Lenny from Motorsport Tech to build a set of his hub centric BORA (bullet proof offroad adapters) for the truck to fill out the flares. The pinchweld mod had to be done due to the increased scrub radius but it came out looking good and sealed everything up properly with automotive undercoating.
DSC_3557_zps8848aba2.jpg

DSC_3564_zps0615e4d7.jpg

Military Battery Terminals
Replaced all four batter connections with military style. The originals were tired and had some corrosion. Definitely a well worth mod as it has now aided in a stronger crank and will be beneficial for adding additional exterior lighting and accessories down the road.
DSC_3663_zps8f41737f.png

DSC_3664_zps57aed18e.jpg

6637 Intake
The truck had a new, yes new fortunately in the sense that it hadn't been installed very long, K&N intake system when I bought it so that had to go and be replaced with the almighty 6637 filter. Installed the filter onto the existing K&N intake pipe. Now I can sleep at night, lol.

Seat of the pants difference? I'll pretend you didn't even ask. ;)
Sound difference? A little less turbo whistle and more of an intake roar.
6637AirFilter_zpsa75a86ac.jpg

DSC_3662_zps5d0e5355.png

Miscellaneous odds and ends:
-Oil/filter change
-Fuel filter change
-Replaced oil cooler seals
-New trailer 7 way plug
-Lubed suspension
-Hidden exhaust turn down
-Painted axle ends
-Replaced a buggered belt molding
-Valve cover wire loom wire replacement

She's definitely no new luxury ride and far from a show stopper but it's one tough truck that I enjoy fixing up and making mine.

DSC_3671_zpsd951f3c4.png

DSC_3635_zpsaa592016.jpg

DSC_3636_zps6b546ad6.png

DSC_3669_zps65bbba96.png

DSC_3583_zps2ad6cd12.png

DSC_3642_zpsa9215a91.png

Time for 40's!
DSC_3650_zpscfedac2e.png

DSC_3694_zpsd3d3d465.png

DSC_3681_zps408514c0.png

DSC_3661_zpse58b875e.png

DSC_3675_zpsbb7a02ff.png

DSC_3667_zpsde21be7d.png

DSC_3668_zpscc6c21eb.png

DSC_3658_zps2a60fedf.png

DSC_3666_zpsaf8c3236.png

DSC_3696_zpse8f1f505.png

DSC_3689_zpscfd30741.png

DSC_3572_zps090409f6.png

What's next? A Tony Wildman chip a with 4 gauge pod pillar setup and a top rack similar to the one pictured below to carry a full sized 37" spare, lights and a high-lift.
F350_roof_rack_zpsce65330a.jpg

mandkole

Reaction score
Looks great and nice attention to the detail. Where at in WA? Im in Ridgefield

On those spacers, are they 2"? Is the black a powdercoat or a paint? I assume they are fine, but how have they worked? Any issues with holding torque? Im ready to buy a set, but havent pulled the trigger yet.

Austen

Reaction score
Looks great and nice attention to the detail. Where at in WA? Im in Ridgefield

On those spacers, are they 2"? Is the black a powdercoat or a paint? I assume they are fine, but how have they worked? Any issues with holding torque? Im ready to buy a set, but havent pulled the trigger yet.

Thanks,

I'm from Kirkland and have lived on the eastside pretty much all my life however am currently in CA due to a work related move. I see that my location needs to be updated.

The spacers are anodized. I haven't had any issues with them holding the torque. In fact after their "break in period" they didn't loose any of the torque value when checking them.

They are indeed 2". If you go with anything less than 2", you'll have to trim the studs. Definitely go with hub centric as well.

I've worked with Lenny from Motorsport Tech on other projects in the past and have never had an issue with his spacers. The other reputable company to go with in terms of wheel spacers is Fred Goeske from wheeladapter.com.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.