Sunroofs

Ad8 PRODIGY

Reaction score
How are they? Everyone I mention to that getting a truck with a sunroof would be cool, and I wouldn't mind it, says its just one more thing to leak...

While I see their reasoning, how true is it on these trucks? They leak often or is it hit or miss?

cfdeng7

Reaction score
Think you are a ways away from a truck with a sunroof zac lol however you will love it if you get one. And personally I cannot say I've ever heard of one leaking.

sootie

Reaction score
i'm too tall to have a sunroof. i hate it when my hair brushes the headliner or a go over a bump too fast and bang my head.

drunk on diesel

Reaction score
they don't leak

I'm tall, and sunroofs in the Dodges don't agree with my head. The sunroof in my '08 F250 doesn't bother me though. It's personal preference. Sometimes I like having the sunroof when the weather is really nice, but 9 times out of 10, I'd rather just have a slick top

bft blue oval boys

Reaction score
I love mine! You know I haven't had my truck long but it hasn't leaked once not going through the car wash or anything.

My old truck, '05 6.0 had almost 200k miles on it when I got rid of it and it never leaked either.

Sent from a Cummins plant, driving a Powerstroke, with a TDI on the side!

NY_Mott

Reaction score
I refused to buy a truck without a sunroof, I absolutely love them.
They really give an open feel to the inside of the cab, even with just the visor open.
With that being said I had my track break a month ago, looking at $1200 to replace it.
Still though would not have it any other way.
As for leaks this is my first truck with a sunroof.
but I have had several Honda's that would clog up at the drain tubes and cause a massive water fall on me when I pulled out of a parking spot.
Are they worth it? Yes.
Are they troublesome? Yes.

JrStroker

Reaction score
First truck I've had with a sunroof its threw one I own now. I like how it gives an open feel to the cab. Doesn't seem so boxed in. I always have the visor open the whole time driving whether the glass is open of closed. I love the view it gives. The only time its leaked its when I've left the darn thing wide open, or popped up all night and it rained. But other than that, I love it!

Cory Anderson

JMart

Reaction score
They suck if you leave it open in the Texas sun with black leather seats and your GF is wearing short shorts. She was more than a little pissed.

Ad8 PRODIGY

Reaction score
Think you are a ways away from a truck with a sunroof zac lol however you will love it if you get one. And personally I cannot say I've ever heard of one leaking.

Uhh that's not as true as you think... this summer I might be picking up a 6.4 or older 6.7... seriously... we'll see..

Ad8 PRODIGY

Reaction score
They suck if you leave it open in the Texas sun with black leather seats and your GF is wearing short shorts. She was more than a little pissed.

LOL

thanks guys.. I couldn't imagine they leak often since I've never heard of anyone on here complaining about it

Stroked777

Reaction score
i have a sun roof and loved it, until one below zero day i was trying to hit the map light and hit a bump and opened the sunroof, and i broke something cuz it was frozen shut. but other than that i never had a problem with mine on the 08 or my old 04. never leaked either and still doesnt leak even though its broken

NY_Mott

Reaction score
i have a sun roof and loved it, until one below zero day i was trying to hit the map light and hit a bump and opened the sunroof, and i broke something cuz it was frozen shut. but other than that i never had a problem with mine on the 08 or my old 04. never leaked either and still doesnt leak even though its broken

Sounds familiar. Except mine happened while closing with a piece of ice near the edge/ track.
Expensive mistake!

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk

Stroked777

Reaction score
Sounds familiar. Except mine happened while closing with a piece of ice near the edge/ track.
Expensive mistake!

im hoping mine is a issue of just popping something into its groove again, still moves any everything, but the switch has been unplugged for a year to stop furture damage

NY_Mott

Reaction score
Mine will go forward and back but will not go up and in when closing to create a seal.
I would change it my self but I'm horrible with interior pieces they always seem to break.
At least if I have the dealer do it I can bitch when its not 100% right.

johnp115

Reaction score
My first truck didn't have a sunroof and I didn't really care for them till now... The 6.4 I have has a sunroof and I don't know if I could do without one from now on. Its perfect for me cruising down the highway on hot days, cause with the windows down at 70+ mph ... yeah screw that. But if you open up the sunroof and slide the back glass halfway, its the perfect little in cab breeze.

Or If you even just slide the cover back it definitely gives the cab a more open feel.

No leaks. Never heard of anyone complaining of leaks either.

Zmann

Reaction score
Mine will go forward and back but will not go up and in when closing to create a seal.
I would change it my self but I'm horrible with interior pieces they always seem to break.
At least if I have the dealer do it I can bitch when its not 100% right.

there is a reset procedure you may want to try ?

Emery19

Reaction score
sooo.. sunroofs.. i love mine. i vent it and then vent the slider when i'm on the highway its nice.

anyways.. i had a leak. it wasn't the sunroof itself but it was the drain tube. im assuming it started before i bought it. it cracked, probably it clogged, froze and cracked. but it would drip down into the cab where the sun visor is on the passenger side. my dad was sitting in the passenger seat when it was raining one time, and it was dripping down on to him. i dont remember what it cost to fix, but it wasn't cheap because the headliner had to be dropped.

Fordguy100

Reaction score
They will fail eventually, just to what extent and the time it takes are the variables. These trucks are still relatively new, so they wont have problems. As they age and the rubber/weatherstripping starts to decay, they will leak.

Thats probably not for a another decade or two, but it will happen eventually.

Latest posts

Members online